none
Please bring back the old-style forum announcements! RRS feed

• Question

• I know there has been a recent uproar over the new forum look but I have gotten used to mostly and quite like it. However, we are developing an annoying issue on the Microsoft Small Basic forum.

The forum is called the "Small Basic Forum" which results in a lot of people asking small or basic questions. In fact, out of the 20 posts on the first page of post, 10 are off-topic. With our moderator busy, off-topic posts make it difficult to find things and make the forum quite cluttered.

This did not happen so much before the forum re-design because we had an all-caps announcement that was expanded by default at the top of the page. However, the announcement was deleted because it was collapsed by default and was rendered useless.

Please bring back the old-style forum announcements or at least make announcements expanded by default. This would be greatly appreciated on the SB forum!

Please mark any answers and "vote as helpful" any posts that help you!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:44 AM

Answers

• This did not happen so much before the forum re-design because we had an all-caps announcement that was expanded by default at the top of the page. However, the announcement was deleted because it was collapsed by default and was rendered useless.

Please bring back the old-style forum announcements or at least make announcements expanded by default. This would be greatly appreciated on the SB forum!

Actually, the new forum design is full of annoying popups showing the purpose of each forum, but this information is not presented on the one page where it would be useful -- the page on which you submit a new question. If the description of the forum were presented immediately above the submit button, I think this would eliminate a large fraction of off-topic postings.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you only have a single forum selected, you'll see the sticky threads. If I head over to the Small Basic forum only, I see five stickies.

Don't retire TechNet!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:47 AM
  • Thanks for the reply! Sorry, but I am talking about Announcements, not Sticky Threads.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:48 AM
  • Thanks for the reply! Sorry, but I am talking about Announcements, not Sticky Threads.

Oops, it would definitely help if I actually read your whole post...

Sorry, my mistake.

EDIT: I guess using stickies could be a workaround for the time being.

Don't retire TechNet!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:50 AM
  • Unfortunately, we already have an all-caps "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING" sticky which no-one bothers to read. The announcement was the only thing that seemed to work.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:54 AM
  • This did not happen so much before the forum re-design because we had an all-caps announcement that was expanded by default at the top of the page. However, the announcement was deleted because it was collapsed by default and was rendered useless.

Actually, the new forum design is full of annoying popups showing the purpose of each forum, but this information is not presented on the one page where it would be useful -- the page on which you submit a new question. If the description of the forum were presented immediately above the submit button, I think this would eliminate a large fraction of off-topic postings.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:51 AM
  • That is a very good idea! I hope that the forum team will put this on their To-Do list.

EDIT: Should I go ahead and mark your answer or wait until someone from MSFT shows up?

• Edited by gungan37 Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:31 PM Added EDIT
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Great idea Dave. This has been added to our backlog!

Forums Program Manager

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Thanks for the excellent idea Dave and thanks for looking into this Brian! Since MSFT has seen and taken note of this I will mark the answer.

Monday, July 29, 2013 9:08 PM
  • Great idea Dave. This has been added to our backlog!

Forums Program Manager

Bryant: I have a more detailed proposal for the submission page here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/add77fc2-5215-410c-b01b-b4ed1aa00ff8/design-of-the-submit-new-thread-page

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:45 AM