Roaming profiles RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is there any way to setup roaming profiles on WHS
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 10:00 PM

Answers

• There is no way to set up Active Directory Roaming Profiles on WHS. You can get close by redirecting some of your shell folders to folders on your server. Your Documents folder is the easiest one:
    • On Vista, navigate to your Documents folder. (On XP, you want My Documents.)
    • Right click the folder.
    • Select Properties.
    • Select the Location tab.
    • Choose a location on your server, e.g. \\SERVER\Users\Ken\Documents.
    • Click Move...
    This will store the contents of your Documents folder on your server, not on your local PC. You can relocate other shell folders to the server as well, though that typically requires a registry hack or a tool like TweakUI.

Be careful; at present there is a file corruption issue that affects files stored on servers with more than one disk in the storage pool. You will be at greatly increased risk of encountering this issue if you move one or more shell folders to your server.
    Friday, April 4, 2008 2:43 AM

All replies

• There is no way to set up Active Directory Roaming Profiles on WHS. You can get close by redirecting some of your shell folders to folders on your server. Your Documents folder is the easiest one:
    • On Vista, navigate to your Documents folder. (On XP, you want My Documents.)
    • Right click the folder.
    • Select Properties.
    • Select the Location tab.
    • Choose a location on your server, e.g. \\SERVER\Users\Ken\Documents.
    • Click Move...
    This will store the contents of your Documents folder on your server, not on your local PC. You can relocate other shell folders to the server as well, though that typically requires a registry hack or a tool like TweakUI.

Be careful; at present there is a file corruption issue that affects files stored on servers with more than one disk in the storage pool. You will be at greatly increased risk of encountering this issue if you move one or more shell folders to your server.
    Friday, April 4, 2008 2:43 AM
  •  

Thaks so much for your response. I really appreciate it.
    Friday, April 4, 2008 2:14 PM