windows activation RRS feed

• Question

• I got a new computer 3 weeks ago and windows was activated normally. Meanwhile I detected that the hard drive was configured as standard IDE and realy it is a SATA II drive. Before the changes were made I looked up at your site and the only problem mentioned was that I could lose the loader NTLDR and the system wouldn't start. I changed the configuration in the  BIOS and I had to reinstall the system adding the new drivers (ahci from intel) and by the end of installation a massage saying that there were too many changes in the hardware so I should activate windows again, and I can't!!! because the key is still the same!!! Changing the configuration of a disk drive his that enough to get all these problems? How can I solve it??
    Monday, June 19, 2006 10:20 PM

Answers

• You need to "activate by phone" to obtain a new activation code, which is at no-charge.

How to activate Windows XP by phone:

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows. Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next. Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK. You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

How to activate Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us  

Monday, June 19, 2006 10:43 PM

All replies

• You need to "activate by phone" to obtain a new activation code, which is at no-charge.

How to activate Windows XP by phone:

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows. Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next. Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK. You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

How to activate Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us  

Monday, June 19, 2006 10:43 PM
  • Carey,

My problem is similar but actually the results are much different.  I recently updated an older computer with all the current updates.  Since that time, everytime I turn on my machine it tells me that I need to activate windows.  I go through the process(I have done it via internet and phone) and it says it is now active but the next time I turn the machine on it happens all over again.  Please feel free to respond directly to me at golfguy0111@gmail.com

Thanks

Gary Martin

Friday, June 23, 2006 3:32 PM
  • golfguy0111:

I would recommend creating a free on line support request for this WGA issue at: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

Thanks,

Greg

Friday, June 23, 2006 3:37 PM