HP MediaSmart Server 475 transfer rate stinks. How can you setup FTP on this seemingly limited box? RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 problems with HP MediaSmart Server 475.  Local throughput sucks.  Normally when you go from 1 folder the orther on a local drive its immediate.  I have tranfer rates like 3MB/Sec.  It takes like 15 minutes to move a 2 Gig file.  I called HP.  They were absolutely no help!  The other problem is remotely I can only upload 1 file at a time, not a folder.  How do you setup FTP on this box that lets you do almost nothing.  I should have just built my own server.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance,

Sunday, July 20, 2008 5:40 AM

All replies

• You are running into a difference between a network share and a local folder. moving from one folder to another, or from one folder within a share to another, is known to be occurring entirely within a single file system (there are exceptions, but they don't apply here). As a result, all you really do is move a couple of directory entries around. When moving from one share to another, even if both shares are on the same server, the client (which is in control of the move) doesn't know if they are on different file systems or not. As a result, in order to move the file, it has to be read across the network, and written across the network. In addition, the technology that Windows Home Server uses to extend your storage (called Drive Extender) adds a good bit of overhead, so your write performance of 3 MB/s is about the best you will see at the moment.

Microsoft has been working on an update to WHS for some time: Power Pack 1. When it's available (soon), write performance should improve significantly. I have a beta version installed, and I see performance of approximately 12-15 MB/s across my network.

Your problem with not being able to upload multiple files is also addressed in Power Pack 1.
    Sunday, July 20, 2008 3:20 PM
  • So there is no way to set up FTP service on this box at this time? 

Sunday, July 20, 2008 10:17 PM
  • FTP is in the class of things that are considered unsupported by Microsoft. You can install and use it the IIS FTP service, but if you cause a problem with e.g. the Remote Access web site while installing it, you may find yourself forced to perform a server recovery to get back to a fully functional state.

If you decide to proceed, you will need to connect to your server using Remote Desktop, using the user name Administrator and the password you chose for your WHS console. This is also unsupported; many of the tools available to you can severely damage your server. There is a warning that displays when you log in to your server directly for this reason. Take it to heart, do the minimum, and get back out.

After that, install the FTP service just like you would on Windows Server 2003. Because FTP is unsupported, you will have to configure it by hand.

You will probably be better off in the long run waiting for the release of Power Pack 1 (which should be quite soon).
    Monday, July 21, 2008 2:43 AM