Unable to Connect to Server RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason I am unable to connect to my server from any client on my LAN. It was fine when I checked if backups had been working and how much storage space was left. Then I tried to get a file off WHS a couple hours later and no joy. Since then I can not access the server from any client either with the connector or shared folders. I can see the IP in my router log. I tried to run the connector software and it was unable to locate the server. One trouble I may run into is that I only have 1 day to activate WHS. When I did my install I intended to give it a try then make some hardware changes before activating, but I got sidetracked and time flew by. Where do I start tryng to get logged on so that I can activate and once again use my WHS?

Sounds like a connection issue I know. The rest of the LAN works fine, and I can see the IP in the router logs. If I try to open the IP in internet explorer I get to the logon web page.

Sunday, April 1, 2007 4:04 PM

All replies

• Can you access the server by ip address, i.e. \\123.45.67.89? If so, you're having a name resolution problem on your home network. The easy fix is to add entries to LMHOSTS on your client PCs to point to your WHS. That will work as long as the WHS IP address never changes (as it could if you use DHCP internally). A better solution, long term, is to correct the name resolution issues.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 4:19 PM
  • If you suspect this is an activation issue, you may need to hookup a keyboard, mouse and monitor and log on at the local console so you can see what's actually happening.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 6:21 PM
  • I hooked  up and activated WHS. But still unable to see any shares or connect to server. From a client. The WHS icon is Red and reports Network health is critical but it always has been. I have a ghost computer from a backup I did before removing the computer from my LAN. I saved it so that I can save the data when needed. I also have a couple computers that are not always on the LAN during backups so there is a warning about the backup not being done. So the red icon never worried me. But I still can't get on my server from a client.

I considered the NIC going bad but have activated WHS through the Internet and the server ip shows in my router so I'm sure the NIC is ok. Now what?

Sunday, April 1, 2007 8:44 PM
  • Out of nowhere my server started working. I could open shares and open the console. All appeared good, but made me wonder if it may have had to do with the system clock on the server being incorrect and perhaps the server was attempting to do backups at the same time I have been trying to access the server, causing conflict. I reconnected a monitor, mouse, keyboard. Boot WHS and for some reason it opened into a "new" profile. I checked the time and it appeared correct. I attempted to reset with a web time server anyway, but was not able to set time it showed an error for all time server's listed. I rebooted to BIOS to check time in BIOS and it was correct, boot to WHS console and this time it went to Admin Console correctly. Shut down WHS and disconnected monitor, mouse, keyboard. Reboot, Now am unable to access WHS once again. I have a Grey icon and can not connect. Now what?
    Monday, April 2, 2007 12:55 AM
  • Probably, your machine needs keyboard and / or monitor to boot.

ThanQ...

Monday, April 2, 2007 2:22 AM
  • As ESM51 pointed out, the server may not boot without a keyboard.  Usually the BIOS default is to halt on all errors, but a missing keyboard.  You need to check this setting in the BIOS.  The machine may not actually be booted but sitting at a prompt.  Just reconnect the monitor and see if it displays anything. If not, reboot without the keyboard attached and see what you get.  Usually a PC will boot without a monitor, but not without a video adapter (boards designed for headless server applications being the exception).;
    Monday, April 2, 2007 3:26 AM
  • Well it's working again. WHS reports that backup's were complete overnight, and I can see and use my shares again. I left it without a monitor, keyboard, mouse. Can I have them connected and still be able to use the server normally from clients? Or will that in effect stop all client usage of the WHS?
    Monday, April 2, 2007 12:20 PM
  • You can leave them connected if you wish, it will not affect the clients.

pete

Monday, April 2, 2007 12:44 PM
  • I've had my WHS machine go unreposive a few times.  It seemed to be that if a backup failed because of a lost network connection, then it would intermittantly cause a total loss of networking on the WHS machine.  Reboot the server and things go back to normal.

Monday, April 2, 2007 8:04 PM
  • There is a connect feedback on this issue which is active. You should vote on this to increase the chances of drawing the attention of the developement team.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=259412

ThanQ...

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 3:56 PM