License Question (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• Jermski posted on 09-17-2010 10:34 AM

I know there are no commercial licenses available at this time... but does this restrict all development in a business environment?

Example -
    Could I use this library to develop an analysis application for internal use in my company? (With no intention to sell it)

Friday, June 3, 2011 6:02 PM

Answers

• John Guiver replied on 09-20-2010 10:09 AM

Unfortunately, I cannot give any more wording than is in the license. However, the following extract from the license is germane:

Examples of commercial purposes would be running business operations, licensing, leasing, or selling the Software, distributing the Software for use with commercial products, using the Software in the creation or use of commercial products or any other activity which purpose is to procure a commercial gain to you or others.

John

Friday, June 3, 2011 6:03 PM

All replies

• John Guiver replied on 09-20-2010 10:09 AM

Unfortunately, I cannot give any more wording than is in the license. However, the following extract from the license is germane:

Examples of commercial purposes would be running business operations, licensing, leasing, or selling the Software, distributing the Software for use with commercial products, using the Software in the creation or use of commercial products or any other activity which purpose is to procure a commercial gain to you or others.

John

Friday, June 3, 2011 6:03 PM
  • Using the Supreme Court's reasoning in Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942,) it appears that any intent for gain, e.g. tenure, would disqualify you from using this tool, since all activity is commerce.
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:35 PM