difference between grid and cluster RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

what the difference between clusters and grid

Can I use HPC to build Grid ?

Monday, January 26, 2009 1:47 PM

Answers

• Without getting into a religious debate about the terms "grid" and "cluster" I would suggest you could build a "grid" with Windows HPC Server.

The community I most often hear use the "grid" term is the computational finance community, where they talk about "compute grids" like HPC Server, and "data grids" which refer to the data backend for working with the cluster. The data grid will typically be a set of in-memory cache servers caching data from a database or file system.

In other communities the terms cluster and grid seem to be used interchangably.

ryan
    Ryan Waite - Product Unit Manager - Windows HPC
    Monday, February 9, 2009 7:45 PM

All replies

• Without getting into a religious debate about the terms "grid" and "cluster" I would suggest you could build a "grid" with Windows HPC Server.

The community I most often hear use the "grid" term is the computational finance community, where they talk about "compute grids" like HPC Server, and "data grids" which refer to the data backend for working with the cluster. The data grid will typically be a set of in-memory cache servers caching data from a database or file system.

In other communities the terms cluster and grid seem to be used interchangably.

ryan
    Ryan Waite - Product Unit Manager - Windows HPC
    Monday, February 9, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

As per my knowledge, Grid is group of different clusters. Can you tell me how to build a grid using windows HPC.

Thanks and Regards,
    Kalyan Rao
    Monday, February 23, 2009 7:11 AM