Newbie WHS disk questions RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HTPC and I'm interested in using WHS as the OS for a mediaserver which I'm building but I have a couple of questions. I was going to use a 60 gb drive for the system disk and three 500 gb drives (1 PATA, 2 SATA) as the pooled storage. As I understand it WHS requires all files to be copied to the primary disk first which it why it's recommended that the primary disk be large. So does this mean that the video files being created in real time by the video encoder cards would be written to the primary disk first and then later automatically moved by WHS to the shares on the pooled drives?

This would cause a problem as I would be limited to whatever space is left on the primary disk after the room needed by the OS is created unless I use one of the 500 gb drives as the primary disk. I wouldn't be using folder duplication on these video files but I would be backing up the system partition of the other computers on my network. Also, video files tend to have less problems like stuttering and fragmentation with larger disk clusters so does WHS support formatting disks with 64k blocks?

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 8:45 PM

Answers

•  

It would be written to the D:\ of the partition of the primary disk( the main drive).
    I would use the 500 gb drive as the main drive.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 8:53 PM
  •  telzer wrote:

I have a HTPC and I'm interested in using WHS as the OS for a mediaserver which I'm building but I have a couple of questions. I was going to use a 60 gb drive for the system disk and three 500 gb drives (1 PATA, 2 SATA) as the pooled storage. As I understand it WHS requires all files to be copied to the primary disk first which it why it's recommended that the primary disk be large.

Correct.

telzer wrote:

So does this mean that the video files being created in real time by the video encoder cards would be written to the primary disk first and then later automatically moved by WHS to the shares on the pooled drives?

Yep.

telzer wrote:

This would cause a problem as I would be limited to whatever space is left on the primary disk after the room needed by the OS is created unless I use one of the 500 gb drives as the primary disk.

Correct again.

telzer wrote:

I wouldn't be using folder duplication on these video files but I would be backing up the system partition of the other computers on my network. Also, video files tend to have less problems like stuttering and fragmentation with larger disk clusters so does WHS support formatting disks with 64k blocks?

WHS formats the disks, you don't.  As for the size, I believe it's 4k blocks, but I don't want to swear to that... Wink

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:01 PM
  • To add to all this, I had a 60gig drive and I could not use it cause it actually only had 57Gb on it, brand new... WHS needs it to be no less than 60Gb even a 59 Gb drive will not work.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:19 PM
  •  telzer wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your help. You've answered my questions and I've decided WHS doesn't suit my needs. I just can't see dedicating 1/3 (500 gb) of my 1.5 terabyte storage capacity as a basically a scratch disk. I'll have to buy XP Pro instead. I hope Microsoft fixes this in a future release of WHS. The other features are very nice of a media server.

I'm not sure what you mean by scratch disk, but just for clarification, WHS is designed to keep the primary empty.  However, once the other drives are nearly full, the data will stay on the primary (so you aren't "wasting" a disk).

Thursday, August 23, 2007 1:39 AM

All replies

•  

It would be written to the D:\ of the partition of the primary disk( the main drive).
    I would use the 500 gb drive as the main drive.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 8:53 PM
  •  telzer wrote:

I have a HTPC and I'm interested in using WHS as the OS for a mediaserver which I'm building but I have a couple of questions. I was going to use a 60 gb drive for the system disk and three 500 gb drives (1 PATA, 2 SATA) as the pooled storage. As I understand it WHS requires all files to be copied to the primary disk first which it why it's recommended that the primary disk be large.

Correct.

telzer wrote:

So does this mean that the video files being created in real time by the video encoder cards would be written to the primary disk first and then later automatically moved by WHS to the shares on the pooled drives?

Yep.

telzer wrote:

This would cause a problem as I would be limited to whatever space is left on the primary disk after the room needed by the OS is created unless I use one of the 500 gb drives as the primary disk.

Correct again.

telzer wrote:

I wouldn't be using folder duplication on these video files but I would be backing up the system partition of the other computers on my network. Also, video files tend to have less problems like stuttering and fragmentation with larger disk clusters so does WHS support formatting disks with 64k blocks?

WHS formats the disks, you don't.  As for the size, I believe it's 4k blocks, but I don't want to swear to that... Wink

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:01 PM
  • To add to all this, I had a 60gig drive and I could not use it cause it actually only had 57Gb on it, brand new... WHS needs it to be no less than 60Gb even a 59 Gb drive will not work.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:19 PM
  • Thanks to everyone for your help. You've answered my questions and I've decided WHS doesn't suit my needs. I just can't see dedicating 1/3 (500 gb) of my 1.5 terabyte storage capacity as a basically a scratch disk. I'll have to buy XP Pro instead. I hope Microsoft fixes this in a future release of WHS. The other features are very nice for a media server.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:08 AM
  • With hard drives as cheap as they are nowadays, I'd buy a 250/500/750GB drive (external or internal) and put raw capture files onto that drive, then move any encoded video into your WHS shared folders.  It's how I currently have my box set up, and it keeps the WHS disks from doing constant balancing.
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 1:29 AM
  •  telzer wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your help. You've answered my questions and I've decided WHS doesn't suit my needs. I just can't see dedicating 1/3 (500 gb) of my 1.5 terabyte storage capacity as a basically a scratch disk. I'll have to buy XP Pro instead. I hope Microsoft fixes this in a future release of WHS. The other features are very nice of a media server.

I'm not sure what you mean by scratch disk, but just for clarification, WHS is designed to keep the primary empty.  However, once the other drives are nearly full, the data will stay on the primary (so you aren't "wasting" a disk).

Thursday, August 23, 2007 1:39 AM
  •  kariya21 wrote:
     telzer wrote:

Also the OS only creates a 20Gb partition on the first drive and the rest will be used for storage, so I don't see you loosing one whole drive since the OS only takes a small portion of that drive. This info is based on my two servers one with an 80 and one with a 120 drive both has the OS on a 20Gb partition with the rest of the drive used for storage.
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 3:10 PM