none
Windows Home Server questions RRS feed

• Question

• I am interested in buying the Windows Home Server, but I have absolutely no experience in server software at all. I have setup and run XP simple file and print sharing for some time but I want something with more security.  Here are my concerns:1. Does the server software become the OS of the machine it is installed on ? Or does it install on the XP (etc) OS as an application ?
    2. Where can find a list of routers that are supported etc ?
    3. Can I still do machine individual image backups or would I have to use the server to backup ?
    4. How does security software play into this ?
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 6:29 PM

All replies

• I am interested in buying the Windows Home Server, but I have absolutely no experience in server software at all. I have setup and run XP simple file and print sharing for some time but I want something with more security.  Here are my concerns:1. Does the server software become the OS of the machine it is installed on ?

Yes.

Or does it install on the XP (etc) OS as an application ?

No, it's a completely separate OS.

2. Where can find a list of routers that are supported etc ?

I don't know of any official "list", but any router that has uPnP (or one that you can set port forwarding yourself, should you choose to use Remote Access) should work.

3. Can I still do machine individual image backups or would I have to use the server to backup ?

While you could still do your own image backups, WHS backs up your clients automatically every night.  (You need to be careful of doing both though as some image/cloning programs use their own VSS, which can break how WHS handles backups.)

4. How does security software play into this ?
    As long as the correct ports are open on your clients, it should work fine.  You should check the WHS Support site for more info (specifically the Technical Briefs).
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Kariya21 kindly replied:
    While you could still do your own image backups, WHS backs up your clients automatically every night.  (You need to be careful of doing both though as some image/cloning programs use their own VSS, which can break how WHS handles backups.) (end of Kariya21 reply)
    (please excuse ignorance here)
    Does WHS back up files only or complete cold restorable images of setups ?  If it only backs up files then I would possibly have to buy Server license of my Paragon Image backup or just keep doing node only image backups. Paragon supports Windows VSS by default or their own if compatiable. 
    It seems somewhat amazing to me that WHS is a complete OS for less than the price of XP Pro ? Not sure I understand the aspects of that scenario but sounds good.
    So would I first backup my data files on my desktop and then the install of WHS would wipe over (format ?) my current XP installation ?
    Does WHS offer an Email client like Outlook Express ?
    Are all node Windows OSs updated as usual individually or does the server do this ?
    All of this is so new but sounds extremely attractive depending on current unknowns (to me).
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 6:58 PM
  • I'm going to strongly recommend you read the Windows Home Server section of the Microsoft web site, including the documents available from there. You'll find that many questions you didn't even know you had are answered.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 7:14 PM
  • Since you seem not to be very experienced in context of Server installations etc, buying an OEM version and install it on own hardware will give you an interesting learning experience, but the safer method would usually be buying a preconfigured Windows Home Server appliance like from HP or Acer.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:50 PM