CRM 3.0: Cannot Create New Attributes/Modify Any Attributes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

For some weird reasons, whenever I try to create new CRM attributes or modify an existing one, I always get this error:

This problem happens on all CRM entities, no matter what it is. Is there any places where I can check what's causing this error? It seems that this error isn't being logged anywhere in the Event Viewer.

Any helps is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advanced.

-Elisabeth K.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:34 PM

Answers

• These two links solved my problem! Yay!!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934690

Delete the Microsoft.Crm.MetadataService.dll file from the global assembly cache (GAC)
    1. On the CRM server, open Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Configuration under Administrative Tools.
    2. In the navigation pane, click Assembly Cache
    3. Click View List of Assemblies in the Assembly Cache
    4. Right-click the Microsoft.Crm.MetadataService assembly, and click delete.
    5. Run an iisreset from the command-line
    Edit the Web.config file to remove the text that adds the deleted assembly to the GAC
    1. Open the CRM web.config
    2. Delete the line: <add assembly="Microsoft.Crm.MetadataService, Version=3.0.5300.0, Culture=neutral......./>
    3. Save the file
    4. Run another iisreset from the command-line

http://blog.sonomapartners.com/2006/12/microsoft_crm_u.html

I also followed this blog which had me re-register that assembly file with this command from the command-line

1. Change the directory to C:\windows\microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
    2. Run the command gacutil /i "C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM\CRMWeb\bin\Microsoft.Crm.MetadataService.dll" (Assuming that's where you installed CRM....)

Hope this helps someone else!!!
    -BigfootNick
    • Proposed as answer by BigfootNick Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Thursday, September 3, 2009 1:03 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 6:12 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Elisabeth,

Turn dev errors on and recreate the error.  Let's see if you receive a more descriptive error message.  Here are the steps to turn dev errors on.

1. On the Microsoft CRM Web server, navigate to <web installation path>\ (typically C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\).
    2. Make a copy of the Web.config file as a backup
    3. Open the Web.config file.
    4. Look for the DevErrors key, and change its value to On.
    5. Save the Web.config file.

You may need to restart IIS.  You can do that by going to Start / Run and type IISReset in the Run box.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:22 PM
  • Hi again Donna Smile thanks for your reply.

Weirdly enough, I received no error message whatsoever even after turning the DevErrors on and an IISReset. There's still no error logs on Event Viewer either.

I see that changing Entity forms is fine; updating or creating new attributes is always giving me error.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

-Elisabeth K.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:49 PM
  • Hi Elisabeth,

Can you tell me a little bit about your environment. 

Is SQL and CRM on the same server? 

Is this your production server? 

What is your OS and SQ?

Do you have the latest rollups installed?

Were you ever able to create new attributes?

Have you made any recent changes to the server?

Do you have Sys Admin rights? 

Are you working directly on the CRM when you try to create the attribute. 

Are you not able to create any attributes against any entities? 

Can you create a new entity and add an attribute to that entity?

Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:45 PM
  • Is SQL and CRM on the same server? 

No they are on different servers.

Is this your production server?

Fortunately no, this is a dev server.

What is your OS and SQ?

CRM 3.0 on Windows Server 2003 SP2
    SQL 2005 on Windows Server 2000 SP4

Do you have the latest rollups installed?

Yes, Rollup 3 on CRM server. SQL 2005 SP3 is taking a long time to install. 3 hours and still going..

Were you ever able to create new attributes?

Yes, as far as I remember we never had this problem.

Have you made any recent changes to the server?

Trying to install a 3rd party application for CRM-GP integration. One of the installation steps is to create new attributes in CRM; that's how we realized we have this problem.

Do you have Sys Admin rights? 

Yes.

Are you working directly on the CRM when you try to create the attribute. 

Yes.

Are you not able to create any attributes against any entities? 

I see right now I can't create any attributes, no matter what the entity is.

Can you create a new entity and add an attribute to that entity?

I'll check this later as now I'm having problem logging into CRM dev server right now.. looks like there's something wrong with the AD Sad
    Friday, January 23, 2009 12:47 AM
  • I'm having the same issue.... any news?
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Here's what's happening to me...

We recently installed CRM 3.0 on a development server running a fresh install on Windows Server 2003Enterprise (Virtual Machine) The server had all of the updates except Internet Explorer 7 - which I detest, but that's a topic for a different discussion :) - It also has SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server Reporting Services installed, all on the same machine.

Most things are working okay. I've installed CRM 3.0 rollup 2 and 3, and installed c360. 

When I go to Settings > Customization > Customize Entities, then click on an entity ("Lead", for example), click Attributes, and try to create a new attribute, as soon as I try to save it I get "Creating Attribute...", then BAM! an error pops up saying "An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator." 

The only problem is, I am the system administrator... and I am hating CRM. :)

I've checked my security roles in CRM, I am a System Administrator, and System Customizer. I'm a domain admin. I've restarted the server. I turned DevErrors on in the web.config under the CRM install directory. 

What now? Any help???

Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Did you import your customizations from your production environment when you created the Dev environment? 

It sounds like something went wrong during the install process.  I would be interested to know if you can wipe the machine, since it is a Dev environment, install your OS, SQL, ect. and then install CRM but do not install any third-party add-ons like C360.

Once you complete the above install with no errors, see if you get a different experience.  Once we know CRM is working as expected, then install C360 and test the ability to Customize records again.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Friday, March 27, 2009 12:33 PM
  • No, I didn't import anything, we were just starting fresh. 

I can create a new VM, and try to create a new attribute before I install c360. I'll try that and let you know.

Thanks
    -Nick
    Friday, March 27, 2009 1:58 PM
  • I am not sure what installation media you are using for the CRM install, but you might want to dowload the latest 3.0 evrsion from the Microsoft site to ensure you have a good copy.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Friday, March 27, 2009 2:01 PM
  • It's from the MSDN downloads page
    Friday, March 27, 2009 2:05 PM
  • Ok, just be sure that the download is successful and you have a clean copy with no corruption.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Friday, March 27, 2009 3:24 PM
  • These two links solved my problem! Yay!!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934690

Delete the Microsoft.Crm.MetadataService.dll file from the global assembly cache (GAC)
    1. On the CRM server, open Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Configuration under Administrative Tools.
    2. In the navigation pane, click Assembly Cache
    3. Click View List of Assemblies in the Assembly Cache
    4. Right-click the Microsoft.Crm.MetadataService assembly, and click delete.
    5. Run an iisreset from the command-line
    Edit the Web.config file to remove the text that adds the deleted assembly to the GAC
    1. Open the CRM web.config
    2. Delete the line: <add assembly="Microsoft.Crm.MetadataService, Version=3.0.5300.0, Culture=neutral......./>
    3. Save the file
    4. Run another iisreset from the command-line

http://blog.sonomapartners.com/2006/12/microsoft_crm_u.html

I also followed this blog which had me re-register that assembly file with this command from the command-line

1. Change the directory to C:\windows\microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
    2. Run the command gacutil /i "C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM\CRMWeb\bin\Microsoft.Crm.MetadataService.dll" (Assuming that's where you installed CRM....)

Hope this helps someone else!!!
    -BigfootNick
    • Proposed as answer by BigfootNick Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Thursday, September 3, 2009 1:03 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 6:12 PM