none
Clients fail to shutdown after backup RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.23
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.23
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.23

I have an HP EX485 and everything seems to be working except for the automated backup.  I have two computers that are connected wirelessly that start up and back up on schedule.  The problem is that they do not shut down after the backup.  Additionally, I have a wired desktop that will not start up automatically.

I can find very little information related to others having a similar problem.  There is also very little information on how to troubleshoot the problem.

I have no 3rd party add-ins installed.

All backup operations function properly when run manually.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:04 PM

Answers

• Yes, turning that off will still allow a computer to back up if it's on at it's preselected random backup time. That's what I actually do with the desktop in my office that won't reliably stay in hibernation: I leave it on overnight. It's annoying, but until I have a long weekend when I can rebuild it from the ground up, it's not worth the effort of trying to fix it (particularly as I'm pretty sure I won't be able to fix it short of a system rebuild).

As for putting more effort into solving this, Microsoft can only do so much. If there is a piece of installed software or hardware which, when Windows Home Server tries to put the system back to sleep, says "I'm busy, go away!" then that system will not make it back into hibernation.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Gary J51 Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:38 AM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:34 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, sleep/hibernation is very dependent on the client machine for proper functioning. For example, I have a laptop which works fine: it wakes from hibernation for a backup, and drops back into hibernation afterward. The desktop machine in my office, however, doesn't usually go back into hibernation afterward. (It also doesn't stay in hibernation when I put it there...)

There are many factors that will affect how well waking/sleeping will work, including the system BIOS, hardware (not all hardware can be put into hibernation or standby), drivers, other software installed on your home computers (useful little utilities that just sit in the system tray would be prime candidates here), etc. And sorting this issue out can be an exercise in frustration. Consider that my desktop PC has been misbehaving in exactly the same way for over a year and I've never sorted it out. (Not that I've been particularly worried about it... :) )

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:26 PM
  • Thanks Ken,

I'm a bit surprised that this isn't more of an issue for discussion, as the automated backup feature seems to be one of the central features of the WHS package.  Do you know if turning off the Wake up for Backup will allow the computer to do an automatic backup during the backup window if the computer is turned on?

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Yes, turning that off will still allow a computer to back up if it's on at it's preselected random backup time. That's what I actually do with the desktop in my office that won't reliably stay in hibernation: I leave it on overnight. It's annoying, but until I have a long weekend when I can rebuild it from the ground up, it's not worth the effort of trying to fix it (particularly as I'm pretty sure I won't be able to fix it short of a system rebuild).

As for putting more effort into solving this, Microsoft can only do so much. If there is a piece of installed software or hardware which, when Windows Home Server tries to put the system back to sleep, says "I'm busy, go away!" then that system will not make it back into hibernation.

• Marked as answer by Gary J51 Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:38 AM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:34 PM
  • As a side note - your version numbers look somewhat strange to me.
    Not sure, if this is HP specific or if there is a problem with your system.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:45 PM
  • For your office computer I would try to use disk cleanup to remove hibernation file. The run an elevated command prompt and type powercfg /hibernate on. This resets the hibernate which I have a feeling that the hiberfil.sys file gets written to incorrectly. Then in your power configuration, make sure hybrid sleep is off and set a time for your hibernate. For me this seemed to resolve problems I had with not automatically hibernate. An easy way to make sure that it isn't the computer and not the server is to set the hibernate time to 1 minute and see if it kicks in, if not I would reccomend my suggestion.

• Proposed as answer by TheWiz_09 Thursday, March 12, 2009 9:55 PM
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 9:54 PM