Filter projects in project center RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Project Server 2010. Some of the projects are internal but the majority are external. How do I filter the projects in the project center so that I can show only the external projects?

Monday, September 3, 2012 2:40 PM

Answers

• Try this workaround:

1. Using PWA| Server settings | Enterprise custom fields and lookup table, you have to create a new lookup table say "Project category" with  text values Internal and Externaland save . Then you must create a new Project type enterprise custom field named say "Project category". Associate the lookup table "project category" with it and save.

2. Later in Server settings | Manage Views| In Project center section open say "Summary"  view and add Project category" custom field from Available fields to Selected fields list and save.

3. Open any project in Project pro and goto Project tab | Project information. Add the value of the Project category in the Value field(Internal or External). Save and Publish the project.

4. You will have to open individual project in Project Pro. In Project information dialog box, add the Project category value and then save and publish  the project.

5. You will have to perform the step 4 for all the projects .

Once done, goto Project center . Click on Filter | custom filter and filter Project category by Internal or External projects

I hope this works.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP)

• Proposed as answer by Roopkumar Kamat Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by HFprojects Sunday, September 23, 2012 1:16 PM
    Monday, September 3, 2012 7:02 PM

All replies

• Using Project Server Category configuration you can achieve this. Here is the link where you can find more info and nice video to understand how it works

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197354.aspx

Remember security configuration settings in Project Server is complex, if you do too much of customization there is no easy way to restore back to default. You need to be very careful and take lot of notes when you make each change, so that you can keep track of it. I would recommend creating another PWA instance and test your changes

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, September 3, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Hi there,

If this is purely just to only see the external projects in a particular view, create a new project center view that filters for the external projects. Details can be found in the link below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg188118

This does assume that you tag your projects with a value such as "Internal" or "External" using a custom field that uses a lookup table? Information on Project Server custom fields can be found below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg709725.aspx

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com

Monday, September 3, 2012 6:28 PM
  • Try this workaround:

1. Using PWA| Server settings | Enterprise custom fields and lookup table, you have to create a new lookup table say "Project category" with  text values Internal and Externaland save . Then you must create a new Project type enterprise custom field named say "Project category". Associate the lookup table "project category" with it and save.

2. Later in Server settings | Manage Views| In Project center section open say "Summary"  view and add Project category" custom field from Available fields to Selected fields list and save.

3. Open any project in Project pro and goto Project tab | Project information. Add the value of the Project category in the Value field(Internal or External). Save and Publish the project.

4. You will have to open individual project in Project Pro. In Project information dialog box, add the Project category value and then save and publish  the project.

5. You will have to perform the step 4 for all the projects .

Once done, goto Project center . Click on Filter | custom filter and filter Project category by Internal or External projects

I hope this works.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP)

• Proposed as answer by Roopkumar Kamat Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by HFprojects Sunday, September 23, 2012 1:16 PM
    Monday, September 3, 2012 7:02 PM
  •  I tried it as per the intstructions and it worked perfectly

Thanks very much!!!!!

• Edited by HFprojects Monday, November 20, 2017 9:50 AM
    Sunday, September 23, 2012 1:16 PM