windows genuine advantage notifications installation wizard RRS feed

• Question

• i dont want to install this. how do i get the wizard window from coming up everytime i start my computer?
    thanks
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:37 PM

Answers

• Steve,

Did Bryan's answer your question?

Thank you,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, April 13, 2009 4:49 PM
    Monday, April 13, 2009 4:49 PM

All replies

• I would also like to not install WGA and stop the Wizard from appearing with each boot up.  I sent the same question to Microsoft Support and received a reply back with instructions copied below that did not enable to remove the Wizard window for WGA.

It appears that Windows KB 905474 has been downloaded on our PC's with the last automatic Windows update to install WGA and we cannot escape it!

If you would not like to install it, for your convenience, we can hide this update. Thus, we will not be prompted to install this update again.

Here are the detailed steps to hide an update:

1. Open IE and go to Windows Update site directly: http://www.windowsupdate.com 2. Click "Custom Install" to scan your system (Not Express Install).

3. After it finishes, please choose the update which you want to hide on the right pane and check the box "Don't show this update again".

(Note: If the checkbox "Don't show this update again" is grayed out, please first unselect the update.)

4. Restart the computer and this update should not be offered again.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 10:05 PM
  • Steve,

Did Bryan's answer your question?

Thank you,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, April 13, 2009 4:49 PM
    Monday, April 13, 2009 4:49 PM
  • I also prefer not to install WGA and certainly not to see the Wizard every time when the machine is booted up.

In step 3 of BryanGD's reply ("After it finishes, please choose the update which you want to hide on the right pane and check the box "Don't show this update again".), what am I supposed to look for?

I assumed that I need to find something like "Windows KB 905474". However, I have not been able to see it anywhere (even after by selecting type "Optional Software" or by selecting Product "Windows XP").

Please help if you can.

Thanks.

Tong
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 6:27 PM
  • No - As Tong states below, there is not a right window that allows you to select the applicable update.  I do not want this feature on my computer and am offended that it is shoved down my throat.  I have 100% legal software and do not need you to test me on this issue.  Please provide a solution to this problem. 

Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:23 AM
  • No - As Tong states below, there is not a right window that allows you to select the applicable update.  I do not want this feature on my computer and am offended that it is shoved down my throat.  I have 100% legal software and do not need you to test me on this issue.  Please provide a solution to this problem. 

To get rid of that message on start-up, I clicked on next, and then declined the EULA. So far it hasn't re-appeared. Though whether it will in the future I'm not sure.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:37 PM
  • The real question here is, what should be done?

I absolutely do not want to install this.  I've been reading up on it, and lots of people who have an older, genuine copy of Windows are being told it's not genuine and need to pay again before receiving updates.  This has happened to my sister; also, I installed my copy a couple of years ago so I feel like I may have this same problem.

My first thought is to just not install it, but as I understand, you cannot receive any updates if you don't.  Is this true?

I don't feel comfortable installing this and I don't feel that it's right for Windows to force it on me, but it looks like if I want to continue to run this operating system, I'm forced to accept.  Maybe it's time for a change?  Thoughts, anyone?
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:11 PM
  • Hello mxel,

If you want to find out if your Windows XP installation is Genuine, please download and run this utility:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

This is a stand-alone utility that will not display any sort of icons or messaging if it finds your installation is nongenuine.

After it runs, on the Windows tab of the utility click the Copy button, which copies a report to your Clipboard.  Then come back here, reply to this post, the paste the report into your response.

In order to visit Windows Updates and manually install updates, your installation has to have the WGA Notification Utility installed and the installation has to be Genuine.  Regardless of whether your installation is Genuine or Not, you can still get critical security updates for Windows using the Automatic Updates settings in My Computer>Properties>Automatic Updates.

You wrote:  "I've been reading up on it, and lots of people who have an older, genuine copy of Windows are being told it's not genuine and need to pay again before receiving updates.  This has happened to my sister..."  That's because those copies are nongenuine to start with, age has nothing to do with it.  After participating in this forum for more than three years, I can tell you that WGA Notifications has VERY, VERY FEW false positives, and most of those are caused by tampered or damaged system files that interfere with the operation of the WGA utilities.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, June 1, 2009 5:35 PM
  • The thing to me is that if you have a genuine installation of windows there is no advantage to you to install WGA. The number of false positives might be very small, but given this software becomes an unremovable part of your OS what reason would there be to install this and take the risk that it could possibly malfunction at some time in the future. That is without even considering the privacy issues of such software that can be amended and updated as MS see fit.

There may be an advantage (although even this is debatable) to MS for you to install it and gather information about the usage of its software. The fact that I'll no longer receive non-critical updates or be able to use windows update site is an insult to all the users of windows through the years. I know for a fact that there are many users of illegal copies who now switch off automatic updates out of fear of WGA installing. Consequently the number of un-updated vulnerable machines worldwide is multiplying worldwide. How this is good for MS, windows users or even the world economy (given MS has a quasi monopoly on OS on home and business PCs) is totally beyond me. Given their dominant position and importance of computers to the world economy they should be forced to ensure that each installation world wide is protected for malware and trojans. Instead tehy are going in the opposite direction.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:25 AM
  •  

If you want to find out if your Windows XP installation is Genuine, please download and run this utility:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

This is a stand-alone utility that will not display any sort of icons or messaging if it finds your installation is nongenuine.

This is such a shady area and it's somewhat hilarious (in the annoying sort of way) that MS is trying to control the situation. This is obviously very important to hunt down all pirated versions of MS applications, there is no way doing this will actually help pirates find a way to authenticate software.

What about for people like me - I bought my windows XP cd at Wal-Mart and have had it for 4 years. If MS needs to make sure that we all paid for the program, couldn't I just send a copy of the receipt instead of MS clogging up my computer with programs I did not agree to download? Correct me if I am wrong, but AM I STILL THE CUSTOMER? I have had my computer for a while now, and this most certainly guarantees that the next computer I get will not only be a Mac but will not have ANY Microsoft...

Seriously, find a way to locate the pirates and quit harassing your paying customers.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:40 PM
  • Hello joannejean,

Please read dragon66sc's story at this link  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/60131672-121b-41b1-b865-f7316b9518e6  and ask yourself if dragon66sc would consider the WGA program to be "harrassment" of a paying customer.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:08 AM
  • If you want to get rid of the WGA wizard prompt that pops up during start up. just delete the annoying thing.

Goto   DriveLetter:\windows\system32  and delete the folder named KB905474.. presto ur done. no more annoyances.. Might be a good idea not to download anymore annoying things from Microsoft.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 12:31 PM
  • If you want to get rid of the WGA wizard prompt that pops up during start up. just delete the annoying thing.

Goto   DriveLetter:\windows\system32  and delete the folder named KB905474.. presto ur done. no more annoyances.. Might be a good idea not to download anymore annoying things from Microsoft.

Yeah, is quite a good idea no to download anymore annoying things from Microsoft, they are just waste time issues
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Man, you really have it pegged down, only the "quasi" part of the monopoly is rapidly fading away. This man uses malicious software to prevent other programs that he does not profit from, from working properly with your machine! Where are they feds on that? I guess everybody has a price and Gates has found them. What a malicious man.
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 2:40 AM
  • If you think Microsoft's creations have no value, then you can rightly use Linux for free, or buy Apple's insanely great products for much more. If you value MS products enough to use them, then JUSTICE requires that you PAY Microsoft for the value you recieve.

But do you actually care for justice?

Your self-righteous rant against Gates is like the looter's complaint against locked doors. "How dare you prevent me from freely stealing your posessions?"

Microsoft certainly have their faults, but we have benefited from their work. Spare us your whining.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:17 PM