Anyone know how to get media on Safari / iWidgets? RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone gotten their iWidget to work with HMS2011?  I can log in fine but can not view any media, just browse file lists.  Are you just SOL without .Net on client devices?

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:55 PM

Answers

• Using the functionality built into Windows Home Server, you need Silverlight to be able to stream media. Without it, you will only be able to browse files. There are versions of Silverlight available for most browsers, on both Windows and Mac, but (as far as I know) there are no plug-ins for Safari (or any other browser) on iOS. That means no streaming to your iDevice using built-in functionality.

There's an alternative method, which requires installing some additional software on your server. See Barb Bowman's Digital Media File blog post here, where she does what you want. All of this is, of course, unsupported.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:31 PM

All replies

• Using the functionality built into Windows Home Server, you need Silverlight to be able to stream media. Without it, you will only be able to browse files. There are versions of Silverlight available for most browsers, on both Windows and Mac, but (as far as I know) there are no plug-ins for Safari (or any other browser) on iOS. That means no streaming to your iDevice using built-in functionality.

There's an alternative method, which requires installing some additional software on your server. See Barb Bowman's Digital Media File blog post here, where she does what you want. All of this is, of course, unsupported.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:31 PM
  • Wow, Air Video looks very, very, impressive. From dev timeline posted may even have iso streaming in next couple months. I'll give it look tonight to see how it works.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:45 PM
  • Forgot to get back on this.  Air Video server/app does a far better job then I would have thought and plays quite a few formats that HMS does not.  Just Download/install the server application on HMS, add a share folder, then just connect with app.  Only annoyance is I can't stream to xbox/pc/web just iWidget apps. 
    Monday, April 9, 2012 8:21 PM
  • ...  Only annoyance is I can't stream to xbox/pc/web just iWidget apps. 
    You expected Apple to support Microsoft toys better than Microsoft supports Apple? :)

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:16 AM
  • Actually Air Video is 3rd party software.  Granted you need iTunes installed on the server but that is to get boujour service for local browsing.   

I don't think of it as MS supporting apple so much as IE/silverlight or nothing when streaming from HMS.  The artificial format restrictions don't help either.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:41 PM