Problem Finding Server on Network RRS feed

• Question

• I just received my Velocity Micro NetMagix server the other day and connected it to my network through my Airport Extreme router.  I installed the connector software on my desktop that has a wired connection to the router and was able to connect to the server and set everything up, though I did have a few instances where things seemed a little screwy.  I then proceeded to install the connector software to my laptop and had no problems.

I copied all of my photos to the shared drive without a problem.  Then I started the task of moving all of my music files to the server.  I have over 200 gb of music files, so I left it going overnight.  When I woke up in the morning and checked on the status, there was an error message that said a file couldn't be found on the drive I was copying from, even though I checked and it was there.  I checked the box "do the same for the next 1,600 items" then clicked skip and the copy box disappeared.  This is when things started to get weird.

I was able to see the server in my network folder, but was unable to connect to it through the connector software.  I then went to the remote desktop connector software and was able to get on the server, but I kept getting error messages that asked me to report to Microsoft.  As one report was transmitted, another one would pop up.  From remote desktop I clicked the reset button.  I waited a few minutes and never was able to connect to the server again, from any of my computers.  The server no longer showed up in my network, nor was I able to connect via remote desktop or the connector software.  It was as if it no longer existed.

After trying multiple times to reset the server and computers, and basically anything else I could try to troubleshoot the problem, I decided to take the hard drive out of the server and boot it up on my computer.  As soon as the computer booted up, I got a blue screen of death.  I don't remember exactly what it said, but I wrote it down somewhere if someone is interested in what it said.  I had nothing of importance on the drive so I decided to reinstall the Home Server software on the hard drive.  I chose a new install and formatted the existing drive. 

Everything seemed to go fine and the server software started up on my computer with no issues.  I turned off the computer and put the hard drive with the fresh install back in the NetMagix box.  I have reconnected the server to my network and done fresh installs of the connector software on each of my computers in an attemt to mimic the first time I set up the server.  It seems that I am in the exact same position now where I was before the fresh install where the server can not be found.

In an attempt to make things work, I followed the guide by Donavon West on homeserverhacks.com to configure the airport extreme to work with the home server, but it did not seem to help: http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2007/12/configuring-apple-airport-extreme-for.html

Please, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions??
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:44 PM

Answers

• If that's the case, your options are somewhat limited. However, they are not conforming to their License from Microsoft, as one of the criteria is to offer the facility to do a recovery in one form or another.

Could they cross ship you a new drive with the software installed, I would guess that their hardware is standardised. Also,

have you looked inside (I know you've removed the drive), to see if there are any motherboard headers available? I guess an option might be that you could return it for a refund, as it isn't fit for purpose, and try a different make.

I guess that is one of the few advantages of building your own, but that's not much help just now.

Colin

Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What were the error messages, as they will give an indication of the problems encountered.

From the way you have written, it sounds as though you used a second computer to do the installation. If so, you cannot install the server software on a hard disk in one computer, and then expect it to work when you transfer the drive to another computer. It is highly unlikely that the hardware is identical and all sorts of problems could be caused down the line.You really need to do the re-installation while the disk is in the server.

It is possible that if the server has had a problem, the IP address could have changed, especially if it is using DHCP. Once you have the server working correctly, on a Client, open the Windows Home server folder in Program Files, and run 'Discovery.exe'. This will search the network to see if it can find the server, and re-set the necessary paths etc.

There are quite a few documents available here, note though, that if you install the Toolkit which can help with network problems, that you need to read it's associated Manual, as the installation isn't like a regular install.

Colin

Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:07 PM
  • At this point I would recommend you consult the manual you should have received and perform a server recovery or factory reset per the instructions you should find (I would go with the factory reset in your situation). If there are no instructions for how to recover your server from a severe error that requires a reinstallation, I woul recommend you give Velocity Micro's technical support a call.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:54 PM
  • I will respond as to exactly what the error messages were when I get home as I can't remember exactly what they said.

I tried using the discovery.exe program, but I had no success with that.  I also used a fixed IP address in attempt to try to locate it on the network by it's IP address but had no luck.  I even attempted to use my Belkin N1 router to set up the server thinking that it may have been an issue with the Airport Extreme.

My main concern now is that since I did a fresh installation on a different computer, how will I ever get it to work on my NetMagix box since it is a headless server with no input for a monitor, keyboard or mouse?

Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:59 PM
  • Hi,

Not an easy life is it?

When you purchased your server, it should have come with it's instructions of how to do both a re-install or a complete install. There are various methods which don't require a KVM installation, but the specific implementation will need to be as per the your makers instructions.

Once you have those to hand, what you do next, would depend on what they say. However, I would be very tempted to go for a complete new installation to start from scratch.That may require that you format it's drive in another computer prior to use, but you really need to get that manual out!

Once you get the server back up and running correctly, I would leave it on the belkin router, and get a least one Client up and running. The idea being get things working before trying to move outside the norm.

As you can see, there is help available once you get the server up.

Good luck,

Colin

Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:11 PM
  • I just got off the phone with Velocity Micro and was told that the only way that the problem can be solved is by sending the whole unit back in to have them reinstall the server software.  This seems very extreme and time consuming; is there any way that there might be alternative methods?

Unfortunately, the user manual for Velocity Micro is very generic and references things like the keyboard and mouse inputs, which do not exist on the NetMagix server.  The only manual that is even slightly helpful is the manual for the Windows Home Server software.  This is extremely frustrating since I just received the unit 2 days ago after waiting almost 2 months for them to build and ship it.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:23 PM
  • If that's the case, your options are somewhat limited. However, they are not conforming to their License from Microsoft, as one of the criteria is to offer the facility to do a recovery in one form or another.

Could they cross ship you a new drive with the software installed, I would guess that their hardware is standardised. Also,

have you looked inside (I know you've removed the drive), to see if there are any motherboard headers available? I guess an option might be that you could return it for a refund, as it isn't fit for purpose, and try a different make.

I guess that is one of the few advantages of building your own, but that's not much help just now.

Colin

Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:42 PM
  • Just wanted to give an update on the situation:

I sent the server back to Velocity Micro and after 10 days I got the following response from them:

I have verified the issue you have seen and have corrected it.  It turns out that the memory had gone bad rendering Windows useless and not even allowing the USB ports to work properly.  Once I installed a new stick of memory, everything worked perfectly.  Because the operating system gave me issues initially, I reformatted the system and everything is working perfectly.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:28 PM