none
(preview) 'Should' display ENTIRE Thread RRS feed

• General discussion

•  I would prefer that the (preview) function displayed the entire thread.

Currently, if the thread is lenghty, (preview) may, or may not have all entries. Sometimes I waste two clicks and some scrolling and still have to open the thread to view the latest posts.

Alternatively, allow an option to display the thread from Last to First -instead of the current First to Last.
    You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:29 AM

All replies

• Were changing preview for the next release a bit.

Here's what we're doing:

• Removed the "Preview" text and put an arrow to the left of the thread title, however we've made the whole title area "hot" so you can click anywhere to expand or collapse preview, it's feeling much better to use to far.
    • Added a close to the bottom and a link to the full thread at the bottom so you don't have to scroll back up to do those
    • We will still show only the first 20 posts but have a link at the bottom that says something like "show next 20 posts" which will pull the next 20 inline

For our next.next release I want to get in a quick reply, so a reply link next to each post in the preview that will bring up the reply editor and not take you away to the thread page to do this. 

We don't want to add full functionality since you should go to the thread page itself to do more detailed edits to a thread like voting, moderator features, quoting.  The idea of preview is to keep is as a "light" view where users can perform 90% of what they need there, which most impotantly is reading and replying.

Let me know your thoughts on this!

Sam Jarawan STO Forums - Senior Development Lead
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:34 PM
  • Sounds interesting.
    When can we expect to Rev?
    You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:40 PM
  • The plan right now is end of May.  We are finishing up development next week on this.  Our main focus are changes required for migration of the old forums but we have many bug fixes and a new features coming.  We plan to have several forums migrated by TechEd (first week of June).  We're then aiming to have new releases out every 6 weeks or so but that can change at any time.
    Sam Jarawan STO Forums - Senior Development Lead
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 5:51 PM
  • About this preview, is it not a clear advantage of showing the posts in LIFO (last-in-first-out) order? So that the newest post is displayed first? Otherwise we will have to click "display next 20" until we come to the last post, which we want to reply to.

Regards, Simeon
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:58 AM
  • azoapes said:

About this preview, is it not a clear advantage of showing the posts in LIFO (last-in-first-out) order? So that the newest post is displayed first? Otherwise we will have to click "display next 20" until we come to the last post, which we want to reply to.

I think it can be debated as to whether LIFO or FIFO is what a user wants for preview. For now we stuck with FIFO/Post Order so if you preview, you can follow the thread. I think the statistic is that the average Posts Per Thread is less than 4 so in most cases it's never an issue. That said, we have talked about having a preference for this. Given enough user demand, this could make a future release ;)

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Friday, May 16, 2008 3:28 AM