Cannot restore WOCL backup files from a computer with XP to a new computer with Vista 64 bit OS RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to restore the backup files from my crashed computer XP OS to a new computer with Vista 64 bit OS and am having no luck.  When I open WOCL I can not find a "backup and restore" execution or a "Fix it" as stated in the instructions.  The files are backed up on an ext. HD which is recognized by the new computer.  I know the program works,  at least on the same compurter, as I used it without a hitch 6 mos. ago when I had to format my HD. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thx.

Sunday, June 7, 2009 7:01 PM

Answers

• First create a backup plan. Open One Care>Change Settings>Backup>Configure Backup and select the external drive as the backup destination. Perform a backup. Afterbackup completes open One Care and select "restore files". When prompted for which files to restore select "Files from another PC". You should now see the XP backups and be able to restore the files.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 9:04 PM

All replies

• First create a backup plan. Open One Care>Change Settings>Backup>Configure Backup and select the external drive as the backup destination. Perform a backup. Afterbackup completes open One Care and select "restore files". When prompted for which files to restore select "Files from another PC". You should now see the XP backups and be able to restore the files.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 9:04 PM
  • If it doesn't work after following Jim's instructions, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, June 8, 2009 1:30 AM