Several Q's RRS feed

• Question

• 2tb Issue

I'm still slightly confused on this issue.  From what I've read & understood, the maximum backup per volume/folder or file must not exceed 2tb?

Drive Letters & Naming

With over 80gb of music & 30tb + of video on v1, would 22 drives named Video conflict or would the drive letters differeniate them?

Sunday, May 29, 2011 9:15 PM

Answers

• Using the Dashboard you can back up a maximum of 2TB of Server data to a single disk. If you need more you will need to use the underlying Server 2008 R2 functionality.
    • Marked as answer by Sirius B Monday, May 30, 2011 5:02 PM
    Monday, May 30, 2011 2:20 AM
  • 2tb Issue

I'm still slightly confused on this issue.  From what I've read & understood, the maximum backup per volume/folder or file must not exceed 2tb?

Drive Letters & Naming

With over 80gb of music & 30tb + of video on v1, would 22 drives named Video conflict or would the drive letters differeniate them?

You would have to differentiate each drive, they all can't be "Video" unfortunately.  A network share cannot span multiple disks (as far as I know).

• Marked as answer by Sirius B Monday, May 30, 2011 5:03 PM
    Monday, May 30, 2011 4:07 AM

All replies

• Using the Dashboard you can back up a maximum of 2TB of Server data to a single disk. If you need more you will need to use the underlying Server 2008 R2 functionality.
    • Marked as answer by Sirius B Monday, May 30, 2011 5:02 PM
    Monday, May 30, 2011 2:20 AM
  • 2tb Issue

Drive Letters & Naming

You would have to differentiate each drive, they all can't be "Video" unfortunately.  A network share cannot span multiple disks (as far as I know).

• Marked as answer by Sirius B Monday, May 30, 2011 5:03 PM
    Monday, May 30, 2011 4:07 AM
  • 2tb Issue

Drive Letters & Naming

No need to.
    I have two 2TB drives spanned as a 4TB (or slightly less) for my Videos folder in WHS 2011.

I used the built in Disk Management to span the two drives (you can span up to 32 drives) and then move the folder Video through the Dashboard wizard.

You need proper backup routines though, there are no redundance in spanned volumes/drives.

WHS 2011 RTM coming alive, taking over WHS v.1 duties.

Monday, May 30, 2011 9:21 AM
  • Thanks.  I don't think that my server will hit 2tb on it's backup, so safe there.  As for spanning, tried that & when one drive totally died, lost the span.  I'll just have to name the drives in numbers i.e., videos 1 etc.  Too much to backup but as I have the orginals, can always re-rip them if need be.

Anyone know what the max no of drives 2011 will take?  At one point, did have 28 on v1, but currently back down to 14 - "borrowed" the drives for other rigs.

Monday, May 30, 2011 5:01 PM