Support 2 NIC interfaces in the WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• OK, I"m running into a configuration challenge for my WHS. I have Verizon FIOS with their pathetic 802.11g Actiontec routers. This router only has a 100Mbps Ethernet port. For my in-home requirements, I also have a Netgear 802.11n router with Gig-e Ethernet ports.

So now I'm thinking of trying the following: Getting a new NIC cardwith Gig-e Ethernet  for my WHS. The challenge then is that the Netgear is "behind" the Actiontec router, so I'm hoping that I can configure this so the the external connections for web, etc, go out over the NIC connected to the Actiontec and the internal connections are sent over the faster connection to the NetGear router. The Netgear router is a separate subnet and all my in-home devices are connected to it.

Also, does anyone know of specific PCI Ethernet cards that have WHS or Windows Server 2003 drivers? I'm finding that a lot of the ocnsumer-level components seem to be lacking in appropriate drivers.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:39 PM

Answers

• No, Windows Home Server doesn't support "multihomed" network environments. You need to get a gigabit switch and use that instead of a second router. Or, alternatively, put your Netgear router into bridge mode (which will probably also put into AP mode, but check your documentation to be sure).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:39 PM

All replies

• No, Windows Home Server doesn't support "multihomed" network environments. You need to get a gigabit switch and use that instead of a second router. Or, alternatively, put your Netgear router into bridge mode (which will probably also put into AP mode, but check your documentation to be sure).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:39 PM
  • I have a similar problem.  I have a gig switch connected to my 100mb router, so I can get the LAN speeds at gigabit. However, with this setup I have lost the ability to connect remotely.  I was hoping I could use a second NIC to connect the server to the internet for remote connectivity.  Any help would be appreciated.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 6:52 PM
  • i have similar to the above, let's see if my diagram works!

<internet>

/

<O2 broadband wireless router>

>>>>provides wifi with house

>>>>has 4 off 100mb ethernet

>>>>one 100mb ethernet is pluggin into

/

<netgear 8-port 1gig switch>

>>>>1gig capable WHS plugged into switch

>>>>one 1gig capable desktop plugged into switch

>>>>one 1gig capable laptop plugged into switch

works fine

Friday, May 28, 2010 7:17 AM
  • That's great, but can you use the WHS Internet page? Sorry, forgot the exact definition, since I've lost my access to it since I switched ISPs to Verizon FIOS (who blocks Ports 80 and 443).
    Friday, May 28, 2010 1:03 PM