Reallity RRS feed

• Question

• I have decided to shut down my server at night when I no longer need it because I am sleeping. First of all it is noisy and also I am wasting electricity so I am asking for a way to shut it down remotely and I will manually boot it up in the morning. Is this possible?
    Also does the server need an antivirus or spyware tools?
    So far it works great and just had some minor issues during installation. I especially like the remote functions for transfering files to and from my work place.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 11:02 PM

Answers

• It's sort of meant as an always-on device, but yeah, you can do that. Just use Remote Desktop to connect to the server, and shut it down via the start menu. Then press the power button on the machine in the morning.

Note that you'll have to reschedule your backups to daytime if you want to turn it off every night.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 11:12 PM

All replies

• It's sort of meant as an always-on device, but yeah, you can do that. Just use Remote Desktop to connect to the server, and shut it down via the start menu. Then press the power button on the machine in the morning.

Note that you'll have to reschedule your backups to daytime if you want to turn it off every night.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 11:12 PM
  • If your BIOS supports Wake On Alarm, there's no need to even press the power button...
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 3:23 AM
  • I was also curious about this part of blinkers question:

"does the server need an antivirus or spyware tools?"

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 2:10 PM
  • Is AV required? In my opinion, yes. I can control what's on home PCs, at least to the extent of making sure that they have good antivirus, spyware, etc. protection. But if a guest brings in a laptop, I'm not going to ask them if I can run a few hours of checks before they can connect to my network. So I want malware protection on every node of the network.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 11:42 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Is AV required? In my opinion, yes. I can control what's on home PCs, at least to the extent of making sure that they have good antivirus, spyware, etc. protection. But if a guest brings in a laptop, I'm not going to ask them if I can run a few hours of checks before they can connect to my network. So I want malware protection on every node of the network.

Ken, what are you using for AV, spyware, malware protection on your WHS system ?

Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:16 PM
  • Symantec Corporate Edition. It's not really all that expensive, but if you'd rather, there are reports of a number of free AV solutions working (or at least installing and running without errors) on WHS.

I think the major vendors are going to have to support WHS a little differently, because I can see opportunities for problems if AV software starts messing directly with the file system. We've been warned that we can cause problems if we copy files directly to folders, rather than using shares. I would bet that AV should really go through the same interface with the file system for safety. And I know it doesn't right now.
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:31 PM
  • Maybe I somehow didn't notice this from the statements above, but I've been shutting down my server using the Windows Home Server Console:

• Login to WHSC
    • Click Settings (top, right corner - the "gear" images)
    • Select General
    • Click the "Shutdown" button
    • Select Shutdown or Restart

This has always worked for me!  And I shut mine down also for the same reasons.

As to the AV question, you have several options.  If you understand all the ports needed by WHS and don't use the server for anything but WHS, then you can install a free firewall and just open up what is needed.  An option if you don't want AV/AS software.

If you decide to go with AV, I have found Trend and Avast to be the best when it comes to peformance degradation.  Avast also has a free version that I personally like better than AVG and others.

Lastly, you could use AS software like Webroot or Spy Doctor, both excellent products.  With the various "shields" enabled, the AS products will monitor all the active processes, startup areas, registry, etc.  Although it might not eliminate viruses the same way AV products do, it will generally stop them before they can implant themselves or run.  In fact, at our company (1200 seats), the antispyware software catches the majority of the viruses BEFORE the antispyware software (Symantec).  I often laugh because I'm one of the virus administrators and I have to exclude the antispyware quarantine because Symantec keeps alerting me to viruses found there that the antispyware software already cleaned up.

EDIT:  Sorry, my brain finally kicked in gear and reminded me that this is Server 2003.  Therefore, you would need server class versions of the software, of which I don't know any free ones (just depends on whether the vendor's free software supports server class machines).  This opens up a whole new can of worms.  Quite a bit of money for mom and uncle Bob to shell out for good security.  And, yes, I have no doubt vendors will often something in-between, but it will still be more than a normal client and certainly more expensive than free.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 5:56 AM
  •  blinkers wrote:
    I have decided to shut down my server at night when I no longer need it because I am sleeping. First of all it is noisy and also I am wasting electricity so I am asking for a way to shut it down remotely and I will manually boot it up in the morning. Is this possible?

You can enter at command line or make a batch with:

shutdown /s /m \\SERVER
    Saturday, March 24, 2007 8:07 PM