Building a Recovery Partition RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have had this problem for a very long time and I'm sure someone on this website can help me find a solution.

Basically, I would like to create a recovery partition on my hard drive. I am aware of how to do this using software such as Norton Ghost etc. But I would like to create this recovery without using this kind of software.

Something like how HP, Dell, PC World etc. have theirs set up? So if a virus corrupts the C: drive, and I need to format my drive, I can just hit the F10 key (or F11 etc.) in bios to access the recovery partition without using the Ghost disc?

I hope I have made myself clear, it would be very much appreciated if someone can help me, thank you.

Kind regards

Friday, December 7, 2007 4:20 AM

Answers

• If you don't want to do it with Windows Home Server, I'm afraid this is not the appropriate venue for this discussion.
    Friday, December 7, 2007 5:00 PM

All replies

• For home users Norton ghost is a perfect solution. If you really want a "Pro"  solution you'll have to get "Pro" tools: http://www.pcangelsolutions.com/solutions.htm

Even better, and a lot easier, get WHS. It does a much better job then these restore partitions that always throw you months/years back in time. Restore partitions are only there so OEM don't have to supply install media.

Friday, December 7, 2007 6:39 AM

• But i want to do it without any third party software

the problem i do most of the work using pen drives and rarely uses CD-ROM due to which sometimes it works and sometime not.

Friday, December 7, 2007 12:58 PM
  • I'm not a huge fan of the "recovery CD" or "recovery partition". I don't always want to do a factory reset, which is all those recovery options can do for you.

With Windows Home Server, you can use the backup feature much the same way, though. You would allow WHS to back up the PC each night, then if you have a problem, you can quickly (it varies, but 60 GB over a 100 MBit connection takes an hour or two) restore your PC to a prior state with all your software, data, etc. exactly as it was at the time of that backup.
    Friday, December 7, 2007 3:32 PM
  • If you don't want to do it with Windows Home Server, I'm afraid this is not the appropriate venue for this discussion.
    Friday, December 7, 2007 5:00 PM