Re-importing data via Excel Spreadsheet - MS Dynamics 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• In Microsoft Dynamics 2011 I've exported data using the functionality to re-import.  I then updated the data and wanted to re-import it so the updates would happen.  The issue is that the field I've updated is a lookup field and it's being able to find the look-up.  I'm certain its because of the field on the lookup that it's looking at.  Unfortunately I'm not seeing a way to modify this.  Does anybody know how to do this on a re-import?

Thanks,

Monday, February 10, 2014 2:24 PM

All replies

• Check these posts

http://www.powerobjects.com/blog/2011/12/15/importing-lookup-values-using-crm-2011-data-import-wizard/

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/2011/08/changing-lookup-reference-when.html

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

Monday, February 10, 2014 2:53 PM
  • Mamatha -

Those blogs are specific to importing new data, not exporting data, updating the data and then re-importing.  When I do this I'm not offered the functionality to specify how the mapping should happen.  That's where the issue is.

Monday, February 10, 2014 3:03 PM
  • You are correct. field mapping isn't shown during re-import.

When you re-import the data that has a look-up reference to a record that doesn't exist in CRM then you will see an error. CRM doesn't create a new record for the lookup data that is not found. You would have to make sure that the referenced entity has the data you need. Also, you need the primary field of the referenced entity in the look-up field. Unfortunately, you cannot update the look-up field using any other unique data from the referenced entity like in case of a new import.

A workaround could be to use a temp entity where you import the look-up field data using a non-primary but unique field from the reference entity. Then have a workflow update the look-up field using the temp entity.  

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

Monday, February 10, 2014 6:33 PM
  • Can you clarify if the issue is as mentioned by Mamatha or if you have typed the name of an expected lookup value and it is not resolving when you would expect it to? I assume that you have typed the text value of the primary field for the entity of the record you wish to insert into the data.(usually name)

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:19 PM