WHS 2011 Client Restore Problem RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have had WHS 2011 up for a couple months.  After discovering one of my client laptops was having disk read errors (discovered via failed backups), I finally got a couple successful backups while waiting on my "upgrade" hard disk to arrive. 


    Today, I:

    1) installed the 320 GB (DELL INSPIRON 1527 w/ 4GB RAM, 320 GB HD, 64 Bit Windows 7) hard disk,

    2) loaded a USB Key for restore (I also tried the restore CD),

    3) chose the 64-bit Windows Restore option, and after Windows loaded and initialized the media,

    4) chose English & US options, then Continued to the Full Restore Wizard.

    5) entered my server's Administrator password, then

    I was hit with an error/popup, "The server cannot refresh the Full System Restore Wizard.  Either your server is not compatible with this version of the Full System Restore Wizard, or another problem is preventing the server from responding.  Make sure that the most recent updates are installed on the server, and then try again."


    I RDP'd into my server and ensured all updates were up to date (none of them were WHS 2011 related that I could tell), rebooted it and tried again, only to get the same prompt.


    When I hit OK on the prompt, it continues on with opening the Full System Restore Wizard.  I:

    1) Selected the laptop's name from the drop down list,

    2) Selected the most recent successful backup, and

    3) Selected the option to let the wizard fully restore the computer (recommended)

    The source to destination volumes of 14.65 GB D: Drive RECOVERY and 283.40 GB C: Drive matched up on the left/right side with green arrows from/to each, respectively.

    I selected NEXT and restore started to proceed (I've done this now, about 5 times!).

    It gets to 1 minutes left to restore (after an estimated 45 minutes), when I receive the error message:


    CLIENT RESTORE WIZARD.EXE - Application Error

    The exception Cannot Continue

    Windows cannot continue from the exception.

    (0xc0000025) occurred in the application at location 0xff435b48.

    Click on OK to terminate the program.


    Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Its my wife's machine and its been down now for 24 hours, so I'm getting some gentle agitation :)



    Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:52 AM

All replies

  • Me likewise.

    I'm trying to restore a laptop from WHS 2011 and have exactly the same problem, mine fails consistently with 5 minutes left of a 1Hr 55Min restore with 0xc0000025 at location 0x00335893.

    I've tried using different USB sticks, different backups, restarting the server, checking for updates, repairing the client backups (no problems seen). 

    Everything runs smoothly until the exception occurs, no other problems.

    There's not much point in having backups if you can't actually use them to restore a computer..

    Currently dead in the water on this with no working PC, so any help appreciated.




    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:42 AM
  • I heard that!


    I got out of my critical issue by using Windows 7 back up on the laptop with the damaged drive to a WD USB Book, then restored to the new drive from there.  So, while I'm out of hot water for the moment, I shudder at any other machine crashing where I can't do this.  Funny thing, I'd gotten fairly machavelean with restores, with the old WHS.  Now, I don't know if ANY of my backups are good, or not.


    One thing I was going to try (but my wife won't let me play with her laptop!) is a restore on top of her perfectly good installation.  Is it possible I somehow needed to configure the new hard disk in such a way that the restore would work?  E.g., I know there are problems with restoring to smaller HD's - won't work.  Larger HD's should...  But what about a HD that was a Windows Vista system upgraded to Windows 7?  Maybe the upgrade created a configuration that the restore process wouldn't contend with?



    Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:31 AM
  • Alan - try this link:  http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2011/04/13/windows-home-server-2011-client-restore-wizard-video-edition/


    You can hook up a USB drive to a working PC and run a local (nonboot) version of client restore.  I'm trying it now to see what happens.  Not sure where to go from here, but will advise if I was able to restore the RESTORE and DATA instances of my laptop to a USB drive that I had handy.  If I can do both without error, perhaps it will help in the diagnosis, but at least it would demonstrate restores are "possible"...



    Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:15 AM
  • I was able to "restore" several computer backups to a USB drive.  I have as yet to get my wife's laptop to successfully restore without getting that error.  I got a drive enclosure and now am trying to see if I can't restore to her "old" drive.  Curious.  It appears restores ARE possible, but for some reason this laptop's backups won't restore...
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:40 AM
  • Alan - check my last post in a related thread - I was able to recover - not fixing the root cause, but got a full restore:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver2011essentials/thread/b5d1eb09-a024-4202-8c95-c6754581464c



    Friday, October 14, 2011 4:40 AM
  • I went through this debacle with a new drive.  Windows and Dell like their little drive spaces, and my new hard drive was formated like the old one, except the partition to install the data to was not the primary, as it was reassigned to a system drive during format process.  I had to put the drive in another PC (you can remove the little partitions at this time if you like), then go in and make the large partition the primary.  After that the installation went flawlessly.
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:44 PM