How to restrict users logging in with same username RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guyz,

I have a scenario, where i have a CRM Account and im able to connect to CRM Server using the same account from another computer.

Can any one tell me how to restrict the users from using the same username which is currently logged in from some other place

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,

There is nothing like that in CRM out-of-the-box. You can look in the log files of IIS and spot user logins per IP, but it wont let you block them actively.

If you expose CRM through ISA or TMG then maybe you'll be able to do some fancy stuff - talk to the TMG guys about that as it is not CRM related.

I've been doing CRM hosting since CRM 3.0 and we have never had that problem. We have simply written in our Terms of Service that each individual must have its own license (and this is also required by MS). It's a matter of trust - the exact same trust that Microsoft has in you reporting the correct number of CALs to them ;)

//Casper

• Marked as answer by SyedHaroon Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:07 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 8:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

User CALs (Client Access License) are purchased per user, so no user may use other users username to log in (http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/client-access-license.aspx)

With that beeing said you can restrict who can log into which machines in Active Directory. Maybe that could be a way of controlling it...

//Casper

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:15 AM
  • you are not getting my point.

i have a windows Server and i have installed a CRM 2011 Server there, it's up adn running fine.

There are multiple organizations in the CRM and we are giving each organisation to different customers.

Now after we give the organisations to customers if they want to create users first they need to send us a request then we will create the active directory users and then let them add those users in crm and use it.

Now, suppose if i charge my customer 500000$ per user then if customer uses his available accounts(let us say 5) and he gives teh same accounts some 10 more employees and all of them access the CRM Site simultaneously and i did saw that thing it is possible. So how do i restrict the Same CRM User to be active in two different sessions??

plz help me guyz,

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Hi,

There is nothing like that in CRM out-of-the-box. You can look in the log files of IIS and spot user logins per IP, but it wont let you block them actively.

If you expose CRM through ISA or TMG then maybe you'll be able to do some fancy stuff - talk to the TMG guys about that as it is not CRM related.

I've been doing CRM hosting since CRM 3.0 and we have never had that problem. We have simply written in our Terms of Service that each individual must have its own license (and this is also required by MS). It's a matter of trust - the exact same trust that Microsoft has in you reporting the correct number of CALs to them ;)

//Casper

• Marked as answer by SyedHaroon Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:07 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 8:26 PM