OCS 2007 delegation wizard RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I'm just completing the OCS2007 setup and I'm at the stage where the wizard can delegate access to create servers and activate pools. It's asking for the distinguished name of the OU my OCS server is in. At this stage I'm hesitant to proceed as the OCS server is stored alongside all of our other member servers in the same OU - is it safe to do this or should I create a separate OU just for OCS (this will be a single server standard edition deployment). I'm not really sure what the delegation wizard wants to do to the OU or whether this is safe? Is there an OCS 2007 guru that can give me some advice?

I have looked in the StandardEditionDeployment.doc and OCS_Planning_Guide but can't find anything concrete about these changes. 

Thanks!
    Ben
    Monday, October 6, 2008 11:46 AM

All replies

• Ben,

The real question is do you NEED to delegate access to accounts?  This is used to give other administrators or server operators in your IT department the ability to add OCS servers themselves when they are not members of Domain Administrative groups.  If you will be peforming the installation yourself or with shared credentials then you don't even need to worry about this step.

But if that is the route you intend to go, then take a look at page 17 of the OCS 2007 Active Directory Guide.  The different scenarios are covered in detail and also has sample of how to look at what changes are applied using the whoami tool.

I've been meaning to run through these processes in my lab and document the exact changes made to objects, so when I get a chance to do so I'll try to remember to dig up this thread and post the results.
    Monday, October 6, 2008 12:49 PM
  •  

Jeff,

Thanks for the confirmation. In that case I will skip ahead to the server deployment - if these permissions are needed in the future (which is extrememly unlikely) then I'll come back to it then.

Cheers

Ben 

Monday, October 6, 2008 2:28 PM
  • I tossed a blog artcile together detailing the changes made by delegating rights to an OU in the wizard, among some other stuff:

https://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=40

Thursday, October 9, 2008 7:30 PM