VIOLET System status indicator on Acer H340 during first installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

here I am, happy with my freshly purchased homeserver and ready to instal it:

Step 1: Plug in power: Check
    Step 2: Plug in network cable: Check
    Step 3: Switch on and wait untill all LED are solid blue: Switched on and... VIOLET status indicator light.

...and that is the end of the story... I cannot instal the Connector SW on my client as it cannot connect to the Acer and for the same reason I cannot even try the server recovery...

Networkcable have been sitched and re-checked, and network ports on the router have been changed, and the server has been switched on and off again... several times... nothing.

It is Saturday and NO helpline is working....

So, any ideas ?

Thanks a lot,
    D
    • Edited by D_DRS Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:46 AM
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 1:31 PM

Answers

• Hi mrleo,

WE (!) DID IT !!!

Thanks to your advise, I was finally able to indentify the IP address of my server (my router started the numbering with 106... so the server was 108... God knows why...) and the trial with the Connector SW directly from the server failed as expected.

I then tried the MS SW version and... voilá... I had a happy connector software and was guided through the server initialization as eit should have been right from the start.

Thank you very much for your support and patience, it was the only way I could have done it !

I now have spent some time copying music and pictures to my server -I copied (!) files and not ye transfered them completely as I still fell a little bit suspiscious about the server, mainly because "we" had a more difficult start than expected... so I guess it still has to "earn" my trust during the next weeks ;-)

Next steps are reading through the detailed manual and checking Lights Out and how to convince my iTunes to find the library on the WHS, and establish the remote access (which might get exciting as I am not quite sure about the capabilities of my router as the remote installation assistant on the server could not configure it automatically, but as I have not yet studied all the threads and the manual regarding this topic, I still have somehwat high hopes on this.
    Anyway, I have found some forum-threads on these topics already as well as for the removal of the McAfee suite, which in general seems to cause quite some trouble with the Acer...

By the way, I have already updated to PP3 and rebooted without any issue so far.

Only issue I have with a new folder I created on the "top-level" which I could not access with the client account: "Access denied. Contact your admin... hahaha..." although I have absolutely identical user names and passwords and have no trouble accessing the pre-installed shared folders as well as the user-specific shared folder created automatically during the user account creation process on the server and of course I granted full access to this new folder to the respective user... any idea on that ?

Thank you,
    D
    • Marked as answer by D_DRS Friday, January 15, 2010 2:36 PM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:46 AM

All replies

• All I can tell you is to call Acer or the store you bought your server from, because it sounds like your server is defective.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 2:02 PM
  • Hi D_DRS,

I just purchased the Acer easystore H340 server and had similar problems when I tried to install my server.  I was able to see it on my network and other Media clients.  The first thing I noticed was that the CD to install the Connector software wouldn’t work. It said it could find the server. I was able to reach the Server’s home page by typing in the IP address my router assigned to it.  But that didn’t’ work either because server did not have a password for the Administrator user id.

Don’t even waste your time with the tech support.

Try downloading the Connector software from the Microsoft site, http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=98601 . at the bottom of the page click the link to open the page for Windows Home Server Connector Software CD this will take you to the page to download the ISO file that contains Connector software.  It will download a file named, ClientCD.iso. This file is link a zip file. I had to download WinZip to open it. Copy the contents to a new folder and run the exe file in that folder. This version of the Connector software found my server and installed it on my client computer.  After that you should be able to use your server.

I’m not sure why the installation CD has a version that doesn’t work..  I even noticed that the Recovery CD couldn’t install the Connector software either.  It took me several days before I got it to work. 

Saturday, January 9, 2010 9:41 PM
  • D_DRS,

I had to also make sure all my computers were on the same workgroup at the server.  the server was under the workgroup named WORKGROUP and my home network was under MSHOME.  I change all of my client computers workgroup names to WORKGROUP.  this might be something you have to do too.

Saturday, January 9, 2010 9:44 PM
  • Hi mrleo !

thanks for the hint on the SW... unfortunately, I have problems following your instructions...:

I visited the MS page, found the link and got the iso.file downloaded. It is only 1168 KB big, so I started wwondering... but you mentioned it is supposed to be a zip.file, so I tried my win.zip to open this and all I got was an error message stating that "...this is no valid archive...".

Did I make a mistake somewhere in the process or did I miss something important ?

Thanks again for your help,
    D

PS: To be on the safe side after I hopefully will get my hands on the SW, I changed my workgroup to "WORKGROUP" to, so that is already fixed...
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Hi,

yes the file, ClientCD.iso, is only 1,166 KB. It contains the three files below

(1) WHSCONNECTORINSTALL.EXE      1,078KB
    (2) WHS_CONNECTORHELP.CHM         43 KB
    (3) AUTORUN.INF                               1KB

I used an evaluation copy of WinZip 14.0 (8688).  I doubled clicked on the file and it opened it up for me.  Google "How to open an ISO file"
    I found this method for you at http://www.techiecorner.com/121/how-to-open-iso-file-on-ms-windows/

Method 1: How to open .iso file with WinRaR?

• Download and install WinRaR.
    • Once WinRaR installed, you open .iso file with WinRaR
    • Start WinRaR and drag your .iso file to it and you will be able to extract it as normal zip file.

Once you get this file open copy the contents to a folder and execute the file, WHSCONNECTORINSTALL.EXE.  After i did that the wizard was able to run, locate the server and install the Connector client.

After you do that, you'll probably have a lot more to do.  If you get it connected and you're able to launch the WHS Console, you'll have to update it with several software updates!  I finally got all of my updates after doing it 3 times.  The updates are executed from inside the WHS.  You have to click Settings to be able to do that.  But first we need to get you connected. :-)

FYI, it you're planning on using the WHS to connect to a other media clients like a Sony Braiva HDTV, you'll need to install Windows Media PLayer version 11.0.  I'm able to stream video files from my server to my TV, play music on my TV, and view jpeg files on my TV, since the Acer easystore H340 server is a DLNA Certified media server.

I also notice i was only able to makes some updates from my second computer that has Vista on it, that i couldn't make updates using my XP computer.  Not sure why. 

What system are you running????

Here are a few thing i was able to do so far
    I've been able to add two 1 TB drives and one 500GB drive.
    The McAfee software can't be activated on my installation. I'm still trouble shoothing that one.
    Can't stream all my media just yet. I'm still trouble shoothing this one too.

I'll check back to see it this had helped you any.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:45 AM
  • One other thing. you should enter the IP address your server has followed by 55000

for example type http://IPAddress:55000/ where IPAddress is the address assigned by your router.  this will display the
    Windows Home Server Connector Setup page.  From here you're allowed to download the connector software and the WHS Toolkit. The connector downloaded from the WHS server itself didn't work either.  The toolkit provides some info for tech support.  Neiterh really help but it did allow me to verify that i could communicate with the server.  I think the copies on the CD and server are old versions!

if you type http://IPAddress by itself you;ll also get a home page with three choices! You'll see a family of three smiling with the Acer HS. :-)

these are just a few things i did to verify the server was connected and it was just the software.  make suer you can do these things too.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:24 AM
  • Hi mrleo,

WinRAR worked -must have been my old WinZip version (9.x) that had issues with the ISO file ! Great so far !
    Will try as soon as I am home again (am in the office now).

Regarding the proposed connectivity test: Any idea how I can check which IPAddress my server got from the router ? I mean I can doubleclick on it on the server icon within the network-environment view and it asks for a login account name and password. Am not sure whether this is "still" XP or "already" the server...

I do "see" the server as a UPnP-device and as part of my workgroup.
    I also have a streaming client (PURE EvokeFlow radio) that happily displays the server as possible media server and I can even drilldown to the folders, which are of course still empty because of my immedeate issue with the "first computer" and the connection...

BTW: I am running XP Professional with SP3 on my machine.

Thank you,
    D
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 7:43 AM
  • Hi D,

Discover IP Address

Most home routers have 192.168.2.1 as the default IPAddress. use this as a start.

Open the command prompt and type IPCONFIG at the DOS prompt. The last entry, Default Gateway should be the IP address of your router.  enter that number into your browser without the "http://". Type just the only the numbers, e.g. 192.168.2.1 and press enter.

if you don't know how to open the CMD window, hold down the Windows Key and press "R". these two keys pressed at the same time opens the Run dialog box.  in the text box enter the command IPCONFIG

if you're able to get to your router's home page look for something like DCHP Client List.  My DHCP page contained the text below. yours might too.  below that text my router listed all the devices on my network and their IP and MAC address.

LAN > DHCP Client List

This page shows you the IP address, Host Name and MAC address of each computer that is connected to your network. If the computer does not have a host name specified, then the Host Name field will be blank. Pressing "Refresh" will update the list. 

Other options to try if above fails to work
    if that doesn't work look at this link for other options.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/routers/g/192_168_2_1_def.htm

if you get to your router's console page you can see what IP Address was assigned.  normally they increase the last digit. e.g

192.168.2.1 router
    192.168.2.2 computer 1
    192.168.2.3 computer 2 and so on.

My Sony Bravia HDTV
    your PURE EvokeFlow radio client did the same thing as my Sony Bravia HDTV. it displayed the folders and allowed me to drill down. but as you mentioned each folder will be empty.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:29 AM
  • Hi mrleo,

WE (!) DID IT !!!

Thanks to your advise, I was finally able to indentify the IP address of my server (my router started the numbering with 106... so the server was 108... God knows why...) and the trial with the Connector SW directly from the server failed as expected.

I then tried the MS SW version and... voilá... I had a happy connector software and was guided through the server initialization as eit should have been right from the start.

Thank you very much for your support and patience, it was the only way I could have done it !

I now have spent some time copying music and pictures to my server -I copied (!) files and not ye transfered them completely as I still fell a little bit suspiscious about the server, mainly because "we" had a more difficult start than expected... so I guess it still has to "earn" my trust during the next weeks ;-)

Next steps are reading through the detailed manual and checking Lights Out and how to convince my iTunes to find the library on the WHS, and establish the remote access (which might get exciting as I am not quite sure about the capabilities of my router as the remote installation assistant on the server could not configure it automatically, but as I have not yet studied all the threads and the manual regarding this topic, I still have somehwat high hopes on this.
    Anyway, I have found some forum-threads on these topics already as well as for the removal of the McAfee suite, which in general seems to cause quite some trouble with the Acer...

By the way, I have already updated to PP3 and rebooted without any issue so far.

Only issue I have with a new folder I created on the "top-level" which I could not access with the client account: "Access denied. Contact your admin... hahaha..." although I have absolutely identical user names and passwords and have no trouble accessing the pre-installed shared folders as well as the user-specific shared folder created automatically during the user account creation process on the server and of course I granted full access to this new folder to the respective user... any idea on that ?

Thank you,
    D
    • Marked as answer by D_DRS Friday, January 15, 2010 2:36 PM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:46 AM
  • Hi D,

I'm glad to hear that you have made some progress with your WHS.  I've been busy trying to go to the next level myself. Things like connecting with Remote access, downloading AddIns, activating McAfee, configuring my router to forward the ports 80, 443, and 4125.

Configuring my Router
    The WHS wasn't able to configure my router as expected. After it would run the wizard it would disable my internet access and i could load any pages thru my IE explorer. I would what to turn off the Remote connection by clicking the Turn Off button in the Settings dialog.  I eventually decided to buy a new router. I trashed by Belkin 54G and upgraded to a D-Link DIR615.  The WHS was able to configure it automatically!  I was able to connect to my WHS using my friend's computer. I was able to play music and download files to his PC.  All of the shared folders were visible and all of the computers on my network were visible too.  You have to have XP Pro or Vista top three OS to connect to one of your computers thru the internet.  So buying my new router solved my problem.

WHS domain name

After you configure your new/old router, WHS allows you to create a domain on MS live. You’ll need a hotmail, msn, or live account. You’ll be able to create your own name. eg. johnDoe.HomeServer.com.  MS has created this for people who own these servers.  It allows you to connect to your sever outside of your home network. Just use IE explorer and type http://johnDoe.Homeserver.com and you’ll be able to logon to your server.

McAfee Problems

This must be a joke. It claims my subscription expired. I haven’t had the server that long for it to expire!

I haven’t had any folder problems. All seem to be working just fine.

Advance Admin Console

I would suggest you think about installing the Advance Admin Console. I’m able to see the desktop of the server and access all of the programs using it. Without I’m not able to access the server except thru the Console. Download the file WHSAdminInstaller.msi and copy it to the AddIn folder on the server, then install it by accessing the Settings dialog.  I think you’ll appreciate having it. It will add a tab to the console and you will not have to remote into the server to do things.

I was able to see the C:\Inetpub folders to set up my personal website. So I’m looking forward to doing bigger and better things.  I'm reading SAMS Microsoft Windows Home Server book for some new ideas and ways to use my server.

Monday, January 25, 2010 1:36 AM
  • From my experience it may be necessary, that you will need to logoff and logon the user on the client again to gain access to new created shared folders.

Besides that, do not forget backup of critical data in the shared folders from time to time to an external drive, which you store on a different place. Because folder duplication protects against a physical disk failure, but not against user mistakes (deleting or overwriting the wrong files) or malware, full server outage due to overvoltage, fire, water, theft to name a few.
    So replacing one single point of failure (your PC) with another (the server) should not be considered a fully safe solution.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:13 PM
  • Advance Admin Console

I would suggest you think about installing the Advance Admin Console. I’m able to see the desktop of the server and access all of the programs using it. Without I’m not able to access the server except thru the Console. Download the file WHSAdminInstaller.msi and copy it to the AddIn folder on the server, then install it by accessing the Settings dialog.  I think you’ll appreciate having it. It will add a tab to the console and you will not have to remote into the server to do things.

I was able to see the C:\Inetpub folders to set up my personal website. So I’m looking forward to doing bigger and better things.  I'm reading SAMS Microsoft Windows Home Server book for some new ideas and ways to use my server.

You should be aware, that this tool is powerful, but also dangerous, as the stuff you are doing here is not an intended use of Windows Home Server. Since Windows Home Server is not equal Windows Server 2003, you would risk to break stuff, especially of you are playing around with IIS or install applications, which are not WHS aware.
    The console is the only official, supported method, to access and control your server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:18 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

you're right, this is a powerful tool. so anyone who doesn't know what they're doing, don't use it until you educate yourself by reading materials that will give you the knowledge and confidence you need to make changes to your server.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:02 PM