"Ask a question in the forum" is very hard to find. RRS feed

• Question

• I just noticed the forums have been redesigned to put the button to start a new thread in the right, on top of quite a lot of other stuff, VERY distant from the list of threads, where you'd naturally expect it to be. I noticed this change because I had to spend *3* whole minutes looking for it, after noticing that I'm signed in, and reasoning that it must be *someplace* on that page. ... And I'm not exaggerating at all.

PLEASE revert this decision. This is about as bad as it gets in terms of usability.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:18 PM

All replies

• I also didn't like it at first. I think the color is off, it's in the wrong place, and is hard to find the first time.

OTOH, it is off the regular viewing area being near my icon box that i ignore anyway, and i know where it is, i got used to it.

Friday, February 24, 2012 11:21 AM
  • Omar,

I know not from where you are but is this the same for me.

People using European based languages are reading from left to right and so we are starting with searching for something in at the left side.

The current place (and the difficult reading way of some forums to read the characters) give me more and more the idea that the forums are build by persons who are not using European languages (Spanish, English, French, Greek, Russian ...................) but by persons reading from right to left.

Success
    Cor

Monday, February 27, 2012 9:32 AM
  • That is an interesting point. I read both RTL and LTR languages, so it makes no difference to me. I don't expect right over left or vice-versa. I expect something where it feels right.

In these forums, things start on the left, with extra information on the right. Context is set above, neither right nor left. That gives me the impression of a native LTR language designer, simply because "extra" information is on the right, that is, where he would look second. The left side, if used, is usually for context or navagiation, as is used on the foum index page.

Posting questions is not the main purpose of the forum. Answering questions is. These require questions being asked, but is used much less than answer. Hence, the reply link is always easy to find, but the post link is something a little further away.Whether it is the best design is a matter of taste, though i certainly do not think it is a bad design.

Monday, February 27, 2012 1:17 PM
  • That is an interesting point. I read both RTL and LTR languages, so it makes no difference to me. I don't expect right over left or vice-versa. I expect something where it feels right.

In these forums, things start on the left, with extra information on the right. Context is set above, neither right nor left. That gives me the impression of a native LTR language designer, simply because "extra" information is on the right, that is, where he would look second. The left side, if used, is usually for context or navagiation, as is used on the foum index page.

Posting questions is not the main purpose of the forum. Answering questions is. These require questions being asked, but is used much less than answer. Hence, the reply link is always easy to find, but the post link is something a little further away.Whether it is the best design is a matter of taste, though i certainly do not thing it is a bad design.

Brian, 

You talk about information which is completely not important for those who are searching for the way to ask a question.

Just like telling that it is not important to have water if you can drink milk. But the grass the cow eats need water you know, so without water no milk. The same with no questions no answers. 

Your message does let me think about people who think milk is made in a factory. To tell you a secret: even in that case is water needed. 

Success
    Cor

Monday, February 27, 2012 1:52 PM
  • I think moving this button to the Right may be not a very good idea, as I agree, it makes it a bit harder to find (for the person who read from left to right, at least).

I also think, that for most users the asking questions is the main point they came to the forums. I'm not talking about regulars who find nothing better than spent all the free (and work) time in the forums answering the questions - they obviously find some weird pleasure in that :)

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Monday, February 27, 2012 4:33 PM
  • Just some thoughts.

New users, make up a small portion of the users, are not used to anything here, and may never show up again.

Return users, make up the majority of the users, are used to things, and show up again and again.

I understand making it easier for new users, but the main consumers here--from a clicky clicky standpoint--are the regulars.

Monday, February 27, 2012 5:01 PM
  • I've noticed more and more, new users are reviving old posts to ask their questions. 

I believe this is directly a result of the "Ask A Question" button not standing out and getting lost with the Links, ads on the top-right.

Perhaps positioning it to the top right of the actual threads may be more accessable/noticeable.

~Christine

• Proposed as answer by Naomi N Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:23 PM
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:09 PM
  • I'm no longer moderating but even before the move of the Ask a Question button to the top right, there were an awful lot of people in the forums I did moderate that asked their new questions in existing threads. Some indeed very old threads from as long ago as 2007.

If there has been a massive increase as you suggest then you're probably right in your assumption but I just wonder if you are now noticing more than before (because you are looking for it) what was already there.

Mike Walsh

P.S. I agree that having it on top of the threads section would be a large improvement.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:09 PM
  • I'm a moderator and I couldnt even find the silly button.  Personally I think it's a terrible location and it looks more like a section heading than and actionable item.

Please consider moving this back to the original location and making it idiot-proof to locate.

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:46 PM
  • I agree (i am Moderator on RTL language forum - Hebrew) and it is not look better in RTL.
    By the way if you close the part of the "Quick Access" then the location looks better

signature

Sunday, July 7, 2013 4:40 AM