CRM Reporting Services (Reporting Errror) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a problem with creating reports in CRM.

After I construct a report, when I go to view the report, it says "Reporting Error, the report cannot be displayed"

When I go into my CRM application server into the event viewer, I see that the fllowing error has occurred when I tried to run the report...

Source: MSCRMReporting

Web service request GetDataSources to Report Server http://<company>-crmsql/ReportServer failed with SoapException. Error: The path of the item '/<company>_MSCRM/4.0/' is not valid. The full path must be less than 260 characters long; other restrictions apply. If the report server is in native mode, the path must start with slash. (rsInvalidItemPath)

So, I then go to reporting services web portal into the <COMPANY>_MSCRM-->4.0 folder and try to run a report directly out of report manager.  When I do, I get the following error...

An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)

Cannot create a connection to data source 'CRM'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection)

Value cannot be null. Parameter name: g

Can someone please give me an idea of what might be happening here?

Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:43 PM

Answers

• I am guessing that something is wrong with connection string.

So Download the report from MSCRM (go to Report screen --> Edit Report --> download report). this will be downloaded as .rdl file and then open this file in visual studio or notepad and check the connection string.

it should be something like ...

<ConnectionProperties>
    <DataProvider>SQL</DataProvider>
    <ConnectString>Data Source=MOSs;Initial Catalog=MicrosoftCRM_MSCRM</ConnectString>
    <IntegratedSecurity>true</IntegratedSecurity>
    </ConnectionProperties>

if connection string is different then try updating as above and then upload report back to CRM (go to report screen --> Edit report --> select Report Type as existing file and then Browse to update file and save the record).

hope this helps...let me know
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:29 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by trallan Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by trallan Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:43 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:33 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I am guessing that something is wrong with connection string.

So Download the report from MSCRM (go to Report screen --> Edit Report --> download report). this will be downloaded as .rdl file and then open this file in visual studio or notepad and check the connection string.

it should be something like ...

<ConnectionProperties>
    <DataProvider>SQL</DataProvider>
    <ConnectString>Data Source=MOSs;Initial Catalog=MicrosoftCRM_MSCRM</ConnectString>
    <IntegratedSecurity>true</IntegratedSecurity>
    </ConnectionProperties>

if connection string is different then try updating as above and then upload report back to CRM (go to report screen --> Edit report --> select Report Type as existing file and then Browse to update file and save the record).

hope this helps...let me know
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:29 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by trallan Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by trallan Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:43 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Ok, so what you recommended helped. I changed my connection and the report worked.

Here is what the connection properties were before i changed them

<ConnectionProperties><DataProvider>SQL</DataProvider>
    <ConnectString>data source=localhost;initial catalog=Adventure_Works_Cycle_MSCRM</ConnectString>
    <IntegratedSecurity>true</IntegratedSecurity></ConnectionProperties>

Why is my connection string defaulting to adventureworks? Can I change this?
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:30 PM
  • I restarted IIS and now everything is working great.

Thanks for your help :)

Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:43 PM
  • I have this exact same connection string!  How can I fix this without downloading all the reports?
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:55 PM