Server Freezes Frequently RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Asus M2N-E, asus 8500gt 512 mb (pci-x16), and  3 hdd (1 250GB IDE, 320GB SATA2, 500GB SATA2) no raid configured. Before i had Beta 2 with the same hardware except the 500gb and the 8500gt (older pci 64mb graphics card), and it worked perfectly fine with the same software loaded. Now i reformated to RC edition, with the new hardware listed above and same software and it freezes randomly every 1-4 days. I have to do a force shutdown and reboot then it will work for another couple days. I usually have the consol admin logged in and rdp admin logged in (worked before). The graphics card has no drivers for windows server, but i loaded the windows 2000 drivers and it installed fine. But it still frequently freezes, anyone know why?

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 8:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Simply remove the graphic card from your system, WHS can boot without display card, and see if it freaz after that.

If you need to do some work on WHS later on, just use the remote desktp (RD) to your server.

My best.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 9:51 PM
  • Hi,

I find it strange issue indeed, becouse WHS when deleting files, do not place them on recycle bin. If the VSS enable in your volume drive, then it wil keep copy of it.

Are you using your WHS as a desktop one?

If you have more key for your RC, then it better to do clean install, within virus on your files and server, not good idea to keep the issue as it is, even if you del the virus.

Regarding the del issue problem, maybe this link could help:

You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume

My best.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 11:27 PM

All replies

• The most obvious answer would be the graphics card\driver. I would go back to the old plain VGA card since the advanced GPU isn't really useful. If it still freezes after that, at least you know what it isn't.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 9:03 PM
  • Hi,

Simply remove the graphic card from your system, WHS can boot without display card, and see if it freaz after that.

If you need to do some work on WHS later on, just use the remote desktp (RD) to your server.

My best.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 9:51 PM
  • I also found about 10-12 trojan horses/trojan backdoors on the server but removed them with avg internet security 7.5 in safe mode. AVG has not found any more viruses/spyware since. But i have 2 files that were infected, 1 zip and 1 exe that avg did not detect had a virus anymore (it's like the virus disapeared). The exe is in the recycle bin, and i can not wipe it completelly, it says Dd10: invlaid file handle and you can not see the file in the bin (with hidden folders on) but it's still there, but now lists a different file with that error not the original (it's like the error "moved on" to a different file). The zip has the same error but i can see the file and open it.Could this be a cause for the freezes and how can i wipe the files, if anyone knows.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 10:53 PM
  • Hi,

I find it strange issue indeed, becouse WHS when deleting files, do not place them on recycle bin. If the VSS enable in your volume drive, then it wil keep copy of it.

Are you using your WHS as a desktop one?

If you have more key for your RC, then it better to do clean install, within virus on your files and server, not good idea to keep the issue as it is, even if you del the virus.

Regarding the del issue problem, maybe this link could help:

You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume

My best.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 11:27 PM