When backups are missed during window because client unavailable and client becomes available later RRS feed

• Question

• I am finding where if systems are unavailable when the server goes through the list of clients that need backup, if the client becomes available at a later time within the window, the server does not perform a backup.  In my environment, there are two reasons that clients are unavailable...1) one of pcs is connected using a secured VPN that doesn't allow the local network to be accessed....this VPN usually drops the connection sometime later within the backup window; and 2) the laptop, a wireless connection, may be traveling with me and out of range, however, upon returning home later in the backup window, the pc does connect with the server, however, backup is not performed.

I understand that one solution would be to move the backup window to a later start time.  I notice that the icon for the server that is in the system tray is gray whenever the server is not connected, but when connected it turns green.  This shows me that with the events that both of my pc's experience, a modification could be made that could cause a backup process to be performed.  I would expect that if a client became available, a check could be performed with the server to see if a backup was needed, the backup window is still available, and no other backup is being performed, then, a backup would be initiated.  I think with this method, a pop-up on the client would be in order that would allow the backup to be delayed or canceled, but if the pop-up was not responded to within a period of time, maybe 1 or 2 minutes, backup would proceed.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 3:01 PM

Answers

• The backup isn't driven from the server, it's driven from the client. The client will wake up (if it's properly configured), back up, and then return to a power-saving state if it's configured to do so. So what's happening is that the client tries to initiate a backup, but it doesn't find a connection to the server. It quits and tries again the next evening.

That said, as Andrew has suggested you should make your suggestion on the Connect site.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 10:46 PM

All replies

• I would suggest you go to http://connect.microsoft.com and make the suggestion for WHS V2 then others can vote on it as well.

Andrew

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 7:11 PM
  • The backup isn't driven from the server, it's driven from the client. The client will wake up (if it's properly configured), back up, and then return to a power-saving state if it's configured to do so. So what's happening is that the client tries to initiate a backup, but it doesn't find a connection to the server. It quits and tries again the next evening.

That said, as Andrew has suggested you should make your suggestion on the Connect site.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 10:46 PM