none
.Net Certification RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning,

I would like to direct my decades of Basic, Visual Basic and SQL Server developer experience towards MS Certification. I did search, but I am only finding C# testing/certification. Where are the VB.Net tests or Certification that includes VB.Net?

Thanks,

Dave

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 4:42 PM

Answers

• Unfortunaltely, all the newer tests are only provided in C#. I haven't seen any announcements about if or when a VB version might become available.

Anyway, you may consider taking the exams in their C# version. Most of them are really only testing you on the usage of the .Net libraries, which is the same regardless of whether you are invoking the library from C# or VB. Even if the question text is expressed in C#, you only need a limited knowledge of the language to understand it; the difficult part is knowing the proper library members to use. For instance, if you are taking exam 486 to become certified as a web developer, you may encounter a question such as "What attribute within a controller enables only a role named User to access actions". You will easily determine that the answer is [Authorize(Roles="User")], even though in VB it would be written instead as <Authorize(Roles:="User")>.

As an alternative, you may choose to pursue one of the "old" certifications on the Framework 4.0, which have not yet been retired. These exams give you the option of using C# or VB at the beginning of the exam.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 8:18 PM