Raid 1 Array won't backup RRS feed

• Question

• I am using a computer that has 2 internal 160 gig hard drives(non raid). I have added a 3rd external usb 400 gig drive to the server. I have 2 HP computers in my network. My wife's HP has a singe drive, and it backs up just fine on the server. My HP has 2 drives (250 gig) in a raid 1 array. WHS refuses to backup my HP. My WHS server tab shows 3 drives..2 at 111 gig each(internal) and an external drive of 372 gig. How do I backup my HP?????

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:42 PM

Answers

• I've been having a similar problem.  One of my computers is running XP Pro SP2 on a RAID 0+1 array, with two partitions across it.  The connector software installs fine, and I was able to access shared folder for awhile (that's another issue, but I'll save that for another thread).  The WHS backup wizard recognizes the two partitions just as they should (not as weird partition sizes as Jim Lane was experiencing), and allowed me to select either drive for backup.  Once I try to actually run the backup, however, it quits about a second into the backup, saying it failed for no apparent reason.  Both my other computers in the house are able to backup just fine, and that might be because they're not RAIDed.

Does WHS freak out when it detects RAID drivers for the OS install on the target computer?  I'd really like to use the WHS backup on this computer with RAID, but am starting to think it's not possible.  Help?
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:01 PM
  • I have had what sound like similar problems, let me se if I have understood you...

Your WHS server has 2x 160Gb drives + an external 400Gb unit. I assume you have WHS installed on one of the 160Gb drives.

Your desktop machine has a 250Gb RAID array...

An this assumption WHS will have stolen 20Gb for the OS leaving around 140Gb free for data on ONE of the 160Gb drives. What seems to happen is that WHS copies all the data in the backup set to the system partition, then when its finished will copy out to other disks in the WHS box. So called 'ballancing'. As the backup is sent as a single file WHS cant span this over disks, therefor once the backup data set exceeds the available free space on the WHS system disk, in your case around 140Gb the process will fail.

This seems to have been what was happening to me. The test that was suggested to me by another forunm member (Joffer) was to try a backup from the machine but excluding some data so that the backup data set was smaller than the available disk space on the WHS system drive. In your case I would suggest getting the backup set down to less than 100Gb.

As a proof of concept test this seems to have fixed my issues, my main machine now backs up without error. If this works it would suggest that you need to reinstall WHS on a bigger disk.

BTW my main machine also runs RAID 0. Hope this helps.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:15 PM
  • Jim, it's likely that once you get a good initial backup of your system, however you do it, you won't have any further problems unless you have to reset your backup database (which could happen if it gets corrupted, or if a drive in your server on which some database components are stored fails).

You would be best off, however, if you could see your way clear to reinstalling Windows Home Server using your largest drive as your system drive. You'll have to install it internally to do so.
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:12 PM

All replies

• I've been having a similar problem.  One of my computers is running XP Pro SP2 on a RAID 0+1 array, with two partitions across it.  The connector software installs fine, and I was able to access shared folder for awhile (that's another issue, but I'll save that for another thread).  The WHS backup wizard recognizes the two partitions just as they should (not as weird partition sizes as Jim Lane was experiencing), and allowed me to select either drive for backup.  Once I try to actually run the backup, however, it quits about a second into the backup, saying it failed for no apparent reason.  Both my other computers in the house are able to backup just fine, and that might be because they're not RAIDed.

Does WHS freak out when it detects RAID drivers for the OS install on the target computer?  I'd really like to use the WHS backup on this computer with RAID, but am starting to think it's not possible.  Help?
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:01 PM
  • I have had what sound like similar problems, let me se if I have understood you...

Your WHS server has 2x 160Gb drives + an external 400Gb unit. I assume you have WHS installed on one of the 160Gb drives.

Your desktop machine has a 250Gb RAID array...

An this assumption WHS will have stolen 20Gb for the OS leaving around 140Gb free for data on ONE of the 160Gb drives. What seems to happen is that WHS copies all the data in the backup set to the system partition, then when its finished will copy out to other disks in the WHS box. So called 'ballancing'. As the backup is sent as a single file WHS cant span this over disks, therefor once the backup data set exceeds the available free space on the WHS system disk, in your case around 140Gb the process will fail.

This seems to have been what was happening to me. The test that was suggested to me by another forunm member (Joffer) was to try a backup from the machine but excluding some data so that the backup data set was smaller than the available disk space on the WHS system drive. In your case I would suggest getting the backup set down to less than 100Gb.

As a proof of concept test this seems to have fixed my issues, my main machine now backs up without error. If this works it would suggest that you need to reinstall WHS on a bigger disk.

BTW my main machine also runs RAID 0. Hope this helps.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:15 PM
  • Many thanks. If I back down the data on the desktop to about 100 gig, and back that up, from then on WHS will span to the other 160 gig plus the 400 gig external, if I understand you correctly....other option would be to put WHS on the 400 gig external...many thanks for the tip(s)

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:54 PM
  • Jim, it's likely that once you get a good initial backup of your system, however you do it, you won't have any further problems unless you have to reset your backup database (which could happen if it gets corrupted, or if a drive in your server on which some database components are stored fails).

You would be best off, however, if you could see your way clear to reinstalling Windows Home Server using your largest drive as your system drive. You'll have to install it internally to do so.
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:12 PM
  • Thanks for the tip...What do you mean "install internally"?

Friday, January 18, 2008 2:11 PM
  • Jim, right now your largest drive is in an external case, isn't it? You don't get to choose which drive Windows Home Server uses as the system drive (it takes the first one that the BIOS presents that's large enough), but it will never be an external drive. So you would have to remove it from the case and install it in your computer. Then you would have to install Windows Home Server and re-copy all your files to your server. Or you could replace your current system drive with a larger one of the same type (PATA or SATA), and do a server reinstallation. Let us know which path seems most workable (backing your computer up piecemeal until you have a full backup is definitely workable, but not ideal) and we can give you more specific advice.
    Friday, January 18, 2008 6:08 PM
  • Thanks up and running with bigger hard drive

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:10 PM
  • Bigger hard drive solved the problem many thanks

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:11 PM
  • Many thanks for the help..a bigger hard drive solved the problem

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:13 PM
  • I replaced the internal 160 gig hard drive with a 500 gig hd and everything is working well.....many thanks for your response.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:14 PM