SMB access for internet users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Instead of using web interface, I would like to open the SMB access for my friend who is not in my local area network (thus he can only connect to WHS via internet).

This is what I do: I manually set up my router to forward TCP(port 445, 139) and UDP(port 137, 138) to the LAN address of WHS. This is also what I have done for forwarding HTTP(port 80) and HTTPS(port 443). The web service goes normally, but the SMB does not. Thus I'm wondering how do I open SMB connection for people to access via internet(there would be no problem to access from LAN though...)? Thank you.

Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:12 AM

Answers

• Take a look at Web Folders 4 WHS:
    http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2009/01/03/add-in-review-web-folders-4-whs/
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 2:29 AM
  • I would also recommend Web Folders 4 WHS. Opening your server up on the internet for direct SMB share access is a huge security hole, and is unsupported.

If you absolutely must do so, however, you will need to adjust the firewall settings for the File And Printer Sharing exception. By default they are set to Subnet; you will need to set them to Any computer instead.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 4:51 PM

All replies

• Take a look at Web Folders 4 WHS:
    http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2009/01/03/add-in-review-web-folders-4-whs/
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 2:29 AM
  • I would also recommend Web Folders 4 WHS. Opening your server up on the internet for direct SMB share access is a huge security hole, and is unsupported.

If you absolutely must do so, however, you will need to adjust the firewall settings for the File And Printer Sharing exception. By default they are set to Subnet; you will need to set them to Any computer instead.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Hi Cris and Ken,

Thank you for your suggestion. I installed Web Folders 4 WHS and that is the functionality I want.

By the way, it's unimportant now but I'm still wondering why it fails to connect(SMB) to WHS via internet even if I turned WHS firewall off? It's kind of weird.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:56 PM