Is it possible to assign Drive Letter A (or B) to an external USB hard drive? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to assign Drive Letter A (or B) to my external USB hard drive (I have no floppies!). After reading the forums and MS help I can easily use Disk Management to change or assign any drive letter OTHER than A or B; Microsoft says that you can however reassign Drive A or B if you have no floppy drives.

Using disk management, drive letters A & B just do not appear in the selection list; I've tried through Diskpart, which gives the error message

"DiskPart could not assign the drive letter or mount point.
     Make sure the drive letter or mount point is valid."

Monday, July 6, 2009 12:12 AM

Answers

• Try locate a forum for your OS or your motherboard.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by littlepetel Tuesday, July 7, 2009 12:53 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2009 5:08 PM

All replies

• Addendum:
    By the way, the question I'm asking IS, "where is the forum for this query"!
    Peter
    Monday, July 6, 2009 6:25 AM
  • Try locate a forum for your OS or your motherboard.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by littlepetel Tuesday, July 7, 2009 12:53 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2009 5:08 PM