Why is WHS being offered as a 120 free trail and then after allowing only 30 days w/o a key and keys not available? RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded a WHS package being offered as a 120 day free trail only to find out that it is only good for 30 days w/o a key and keys were supposedly abailable through a "connector" program.  I signed up for the connector program and got nothing but a dead end. No link to a key; no option to  download any kind of trail that would lead to a key etc. What's the deal? Is this some kind of attempt to promote sales through entrapment? Why isn't the full 120 day available as stated in the threads leading toward the DL?  From my reading of comments and other feedback, I'm not the only one trapped into this. How about it; have you been mislead too?
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:01 PM

Answers

• I downloaded a WHS package being offered as a 120 day free trail only to find out that it is only good for 30 days w/o a key and keys were supposedly abailable through a "connector" program.  I signed up for the connector program and got nothing but a dead end. No link to a key; no option to  download any kind of trail that would lead to a key etc. What's the deal? Is this some kind of attempt to promote sales through entrapment? Why isn't the full 120 day available as stated in the threads leading toward the DL?  From my reading of comments and other feedback, I'm not the only one trapped into this.

No one got "trapped" into anything.  The other users who have posted didn't read the directions on the WHS download website, pure and simple.

How about it; have you been mislead too?

Obviously you didn't check the right location.  The keys are available through Connect.  I'm looking at it right now.  After logging into Connect, click Product Keys.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:57 PM
  • To be fair, there are instructions on the page from which you downloaded the software :

5. You may now use the Evaluation Edition for 30 days. To use the Evaluation Edition for the full 120-day period, you need to register at the Windows Home Server Connect site and acquire a product key for the Windows Home Server Evaluation Edition software.
    Uninstall notice: The Windows Home Server Evaluation Edition expires 120 days after installation, if activated. Please refer to the product documentation before installing the fully licensed version of Windows Home Server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 1, 2009 1:49 AM

All replies

• I downloaded a WHS package being offered as a 120 day free trail only to find out that it is only good for 30 days w/o a key and keys were supposedly abailable through a "connector" program.  I signed up for the connector program and got nothing but a dead end. No link to a key; no option to  download any kind of trail that would lead to a key etc. What's the deal? Is this some kind of attempt to promote sales through entrapment? Why isn't the full 120 day available as stated in the threads leading toward the DL?  From my reading of comments and other feedback, I'm not the only one trapped into this.

No one got "trapped" into anything.  The other users who have posted didn't read the directions on the WHS download website, pure and simple.

How about it; have you been mislead too?

Obviously you didn't check the right location.  The keys are available through Connect.  I'm looking at it right now.  After logging into Connect, click Product Keys.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:57 PM
  • To be fair, I had to dig a lot to find the proper information.

They should put the info up at the top of the screen... maybe even have some sort of "attention getter" to be sure we don't miss it.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 11:42 PM
  • To be fair, there are instructions on the page from which you downloaded the software :

5. You may now use the Evaluation Edition for 30 days. To use the Evaluation Edition for the full 120-day period, you need to register at the Windows Home Server Connect site and acquire a product key for the Windows Home Server Evaluation Edition software.
    Uninstall notice: The Windows Home Server Evaluation Edition expires 120 days after installation, if activated. Please refer to the product documentation before installing the fully licensed version of Windows Home Server.

Monday, June 1, 2009 1:49 AM
  • Yes, way down in the bottom of the page, under instructions... in fine print.

It should be at top of the page, in big, bold letters.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 4:27 AM
  • Ron, at the very top of the page there is a link to "Instructions". An end user failing to fully read the provided instructions is not Microsoft's problem I'm afraid, at least not if Microsoft makes them easy to get to and writes them in plain English.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:29 PM