Odd - hard drive is not being used for migration RRS feed

Answers

• If your primary hard drive is at least 200-300 GB then you will be fine.  The primary hard drive does NOT have to be the largest hard drive - this is an urban legend perpetuated by some early guidance when people were installing old 40 GB drives in their home servers as the primary drive (the default minimum is now 80 GB).  

Please read the Windows Home Server Drive Extender Technical Brief available from this page:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/support.mspx

This is from pages 9-10 - note the use of the phrase "should be as large as possible" and the explanations why:

The primary data partition is used to store a unique entry for each file. If a home server has more than one hard drive, these files become “tombstones.” Tombstones are NTFS file system reparse points that Windows Home Server Drive Extender understands. They are tiny files that redirect to one or two “shadow” files on the hard drives that make up the secondary data partition. The shadow files are where your data is really stored. If folder duplication is enabled for a Shared Folder, there will be two shadow files. If duplication is Off, there will be one shadow file.

Note The primary data partition in a home server should be as large as possible for two reasons:

• You want to provide sufficient space to grow the file table for all of the files that you will store on your home server.
    • Windows Vista® and other home computer operating systems check to see if there is adequate space on the primary data partition prior to starting a copy operation.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:20 PM

All replies

• When you go to the storage tab in the Console, what does it say about used/free space? Also, you did add it to the storage pool?

If you did, and nothing is showing, maybe using the remove, and then re-adding it might trigger it.

Colin

Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:03 AM
  • DatAsian, I had a similar problem. Something had gone wrong during "Add" process. Please "Remove" hard disk from pool and "Add" again using a concole and hopefully it will fix the problem. It did for me.

My Best,

Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:56 AM
  • I'm with colinwh and devrag ... remove it and re add it ... I would also choose to format.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 12:50 PM
  • What have you done to your box  ??  LOL

http://datasian.homeserver.com/web/images/whs/hd.jpg

This must be an add-in ??  Try removing it?

Still.....

Sunday, June 15, 2008 1:00 PM
  • There's nothing obviously wrong; Windows Home Server is working as designed. Over time, as you use and change files, WHS will move files to the new drive. But if there's no file activity in the shares, it won't do anything.

Try copying a few GB of data to your server and see what happens.
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 1:19 PM
  • I think there obviously something wrong as console is still showing HDD serial number, this usually happens when disk is first connected. But once it is added to the pool, serial number disappears. It happened to me and after removing and adding disk again cured the problem and 12% of data was immediately moved to the new disk.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 1:27 PM
  •  Still Grey wrote:

What have you done to your box  ??  LOL

This must be an add-in ??  Try removing it?

Still.....

It's an add-in that shows information on each drive. It was removed but it seems to have no effects.

There's nothing obviously wrong; Windows Home Server is working as designed. Over time, as you use and change files, WHS will move files to the new drive. But if there's no file activity in the shares, it won't do anything.

Try copying a few GB of data to your server and see what happens.

I was reading this forum on the old DE functionality - supposedly it is supposed to migrate things from the system drive onto the other drives until they're full, then it fills up on the system drive. Was this changed or is this how it's not supposed to work?

I copied some more AVIs onto it but it looks like the drive is still unused.

I think there obviously something wrong as console is still showing HDD serial number, this usually happens when disk is first connected. But once it is added to the pool, serial number disappears. It happened to me and after removing and adding disk again cured the problem and 12% of data was immediately moved to the new disk.

I was thinking this too. I tried to remove/readd it but nothing happened. I'm trying to remove and reboot, then readding it to see if it makes a difference. Thanks all!

Monday, June 16, 2008 6:01 AM
  • Removing it, rebooting and adding it back removed the long string of texts. let's see what happens after the next balancing *crosses fingers*

Monday, June 16, 2008 6:07 AM
  • Hmm it still isn't using the hard drive. Sad

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:37 PM
  • Hi again,

Going back and looking at the 2nd jpg., shows the drive IS added to the storage pool: you have 1.5TB storage, between three drives, 700-400-500 GB (approx), so that shows all the drives as fine.

Just because you add a drive, doesn't mean that WHS will transfer data from other drives, to the new one. It might take quite some time before the DE starts to store data on the spare drive. 

Colin

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:10 PM
  •  DatAsian wrote:

It looks like a hard drive I added 2 days ago isn't being used in the storage pool. It tried to migrate a few times but it's not even trying to use it. Disk 2 is the main HD, Disk 0 is was my secondary HD, then Disk 1 was the new one I put in. Anyone have any ideas?

http://datasian.homeserver.com/web/images/whs/hd2.jpg

All on the same hard drive controller.

Now, this may seem obvious, but doesn't the installation notes on WhS stress that the LARGEST drive has to be the PRIMARY OS drive (C/D), hence why the data doesn't know where to migrate to? 

I'm no DRIVE EXTENDER guru, but I think Microsoft arn't either.  But hey, works great when you don't keep messing with it.  I learn't that the hard way when I removed a drive and pulled the incorrect drive!!  You should setup and forget.  Maybe backup the data you REALLY NEED and bite the bullet and re-build the WhS.

Anyone else add to this, or had a simular issue/problem?...

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 8:17 PM
  • It's hard to come up with 100 GB to spam the system to see if it spills to the next drive. I might make ISO images of my CD collection to see if this will work but it'll be slow Stick out tongue

Now, this may seem obvious, but doesn't the installation notes on WhS stress that the LARGEST drive has to be the PRIMARY OS drive (C/D), hence why the data doesn't know where to migrate to? 

I'm no DRIVE EXTENDER guru, but I think Microsoft arn't either.  But hey, works great when you don't keep messing with it.  I learn't that the hard way when I removed a drive and pulled the incorrect drive!!  You should setup and forget.  Maybe backup the data you REALLY NEED and bite the bullet and re-build the WhS.

Anyone else add to this, or had a simular issue/problem?...

With hard drive size growing as time passes, it'll be difficult to keep making the larger added drive the primary OS drive. As for the installation notes, I thought the largest drive being the OS drive was mainly done for "storage" before DE migrates it to other drives... say if you made an 80 GB drive your main drive, then add in a 300 GB drive. WHS turns your 80 GB drive into a 20/60, then you can only transfer up to 60 GB of data at any one time, then will have to wait for DE to kick in and clear it out... then you can toss another 60 GB on. It's tough for large transfers so the larger landing area you have, the better. It was this way when I was beta testing WHS on a spare box.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:48 PM
  • If your primary hard drive is at least 200-300 GB then you will be fine.  The primary hard drive does NOT have to be the largest hard drive - this is an urban legend perpetuated by some early guidance when people were installing old 40 GB drives in their home servers as the primary drive (the default minimum is now 80 GB).  

Please read the Windows Home Server Drive Extender Technical Brief available from this page:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/support.mspx

This is from pages 9-10 - note the use of the phrase "should be as large as possible" and the explanations why:

The primary data partition is used to store a unique entry for each file. If a home server has more than one hard drive, these files become “tombstones.” Tombstones are NTFS file system reparse points that Windows Home Server Drive Extender understands. They are tiny files that redirect to one or two “shadow” files on the hard drives that make up the secondary data partition. The shadow files are where your data is really stored. If folder duplication is enabled for a Shared Folder, there will be two shadow files. If duplication is Off, there will be one shadow file.

Note The primary data partition in a home server should be as large as possible for two reasons:

• You want to provide sufficient space to grow the file table for all of the files that you will store on your home server.
    • Windows Vista® and other home computer operating systems check to see if there is adequate space on the primary data partition prior to starting a copy operation.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:20 PM
  • If the Primary Data partition becomes full and a new disk is added, isn't the DE supposed to copy the files off this drive to the free space on the empty drive?   

I have gone through several balancing cycles and the data is not moving off the Primary Data partition and it is 96% full.   

If I do a large data copy to the WHS since the other drives are mostly full I do see this drive filling up so it is working within the storage pool.

The Drive Extender White Paper specifically makes a mention that WHS will try to migrate files off the primary data partition when it has room to do so. 

In a home server with three or more hard drives, Windows Home Server Drive
    Extender will attempt to move all of the files off the primary data partition onto the
    secondary hard drives to maximize the amount of free space on the primary data
    partition.

I have created an issue on Connect for this.
    Saturday, June 28, 2008 8:13 PM
  • FYI - My previous post is now being handled in thread "Drive Extender Not Migrating Data"
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 8:25 PM
  •  

Sorry it took a while to get back. It looks like the drive is being used a bit but the main one is pretty full.

I don't have about 100 GB worth of stuff to toss on there yet so I can't see if it affects total copy. I'll try to find and check out the thread you mentioned.

http://datasian.homeserver.com/web/images/whs/disks.jpg
    Sunday, July 6, 2008 2:16 AM
  •  DatAsian wrote:
    Sorry it took a while to get back. It looks like the drive is being used a bit but the main one is pretty full.

I don't have about 100 GB worth of stuff to toss on there yet so I can't see if it affects total copy. I'll try to find and check out the thread you mentioned.

http://datasian.homeserver.com/web/images/whs/disks.jpg

As flad posted, there is a big discussion about this issue in Drive Extender Not Migrating Data.  You might want to read through that post to see what's been going on with it.

Sunday, July 6, 2008 3:18 AM