Project Details Web Part in Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have a client who has used Project Details Web Part in PS2007 in their project workspaces as their PMs and Project Team members interact with Project Workspaces more than Project Web App. They were also able to use all the functionality of the web part via the project workspace. All good here, but now they have been upgraded to PS2010 and the 'Project Details' Web Part works and displays the schedule in the project site (project workspace), but all the functionality of the web part e.g. 'Edit' is greyed out/disabled.

The same web part works perfectly fine when accessed via Project Centre.

Can anyone please let me know if this is a limitation in PS2010 of adding 'Project Web App' web parts to custom web part pages?

Thank you,

SJ

Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:19 AM

Answers

• Thank you very much Christophe.

The information provided has reference to 'Upgrade considerations for Project Web App Web Parts' http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg314581.aspx. This is such an important piece of information for the Upgrade Process. It will be beneficial if it is referenced in TechNet's PS Upgrade Procedure documentation. Totally understand the information you provided was only published last month.

In this situation, the instructions in 'Upgrade considerations for Project Web App Web Parts' hasn't made any difference. I have also managed to recreate the situation in the PS2010 Demo Image environment so it is just not related to upgraded PS2010 (from PS2007).

I didn't really want to cast this as an issue, but a limitation in this version. After reading the 'Plan for Project Server 2010 Web Parts' TechNet Document, I have to say it is an issue as this document mentions that Project Web App Project Details Web Part can be used in a Project Site (within the Project Web App site collection) and is not limited to PDP only.

My client will understand this issue for now, but they will also want a resolution.

Thank you,

SJ

Thursday, November 25, 2010 3:53 AM

All replies

• SJ:

Think about the fact that this web part now allows you edit the schedule. Therefore, its editing capabilities are restricted to the Project Drilldown area where a proper security context and controls exist. Imagine when a project is governed by workflow. Things get even stickier.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Monday, November 22, 2010 1:51 PM
  • Thanks Gary.

I am not sure if you are saying that the Project Details web part cannot be added to a custom 'Web Part Page' or not. That is what my question was regarding limitation.

Understand the fact that the workflow has been introduced which is also optional to associate with an EPT and this EPT can have a Schedule page and the Schedule page is a web part page using Project Details Web Part.

With regards to editing the schedule...so you are saying a Project Site that has a Project Web App web part (which is set to inherit Project Web App security permissions) cannot utilise all the web part features anymore?

So...from my point of view, a Project Web App web part cannot be used in custom web part page as not all features will be available e.g. editing a schedule.

Regards,

SJ 

Monday, November 22, 2010 7:00 PM
  • For documentation on PS 2010 webpart integration within a farm please check the following: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg314584.aspx
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:19 AM
  • Thank you very much Christophe.

The information provided has reference to 'Upgrade considerations for Project Web App Web Parts' http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg314581.aspx. This is such an important piece of information for the Upgrade Process. It will be beneficial if it is referenced in TechNet's PS Upgrade Procedure documentation. Totally understand the information you provided was only published last month.

In this situation, the instructions in 'Upgrade considerations for Project Web App Web Parts' hasn't made any difference. I have also managed to recreate the situation in the PS2010 Demo Image environment so it is just not related to upgraded PS2010 (from PS2007).

I didn't really want to cast this as an issue, but a limitation in this version. After reading the 'Plan for Project Server 2010 Web Parts' TechNet Document, I have to say it is an issue as this document mentions that Project Web App Project Details Web Part can be used in a Project Site (within the Project Web App site collection) and is not limited to PDP only.

My client will understand this issue for now, but they will also want a resolution.

Thank you,

SJ

Thursday, November 25, 2010 3:53 AM
  • Hello Christophe,

I see that this has been marked as answered, which is fine from the point of view that we will have to put up with this issue until a fix comes out.

I will keep an eye out for a resolution on a daily basis for my current and future clients. I do hope to see a resolution soon...I will mark it as unaswered if my client loses patience with me :-)

Thank you,

SJ

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:47 AM