Page Rank. So I'm not going crazy then? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've finally ended up on this forum after weeks of puzzling out why a couple of my sites are just not getting indexed - particularly as they have good visibility within the other major SEs.

The code is highly compliant, the content original, keywords relevant, etc.etc. usual stuff!

I've contacted MS - but no reply.

I have a very simple question which I suspect has been asked before - possibly many times so I apologise in advance - but is there a problem (acknowledged or otherwise) with Live indexing and is there any kind of remedy?

Historically, I've always been able to achieve pretty decent rankings with Live (MSN) but this no longer seems to be the case and I cannot figure out why.

Any help / advice gratefully received.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:14 PM

Answers

• Mind sharing the URL so we can have a look?

Jeremiah

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:27 AM

All replies

• Mind sharing the URL so we can have a look?

Jeremiah

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:27 AM
  • I'm still new to MSN Live Search. But on Yahoo and Google if your site drops from the rankings or removed entirely, you can resubmit your site to be readded. Generally when this does happen you probably have some *** links (ie: either they are dead or they are not in line with your site content) or site abusing the META tags or keyword saturation. Fix this stuff before resubmit and if possible contact them and ask why you got dropped.

Monday, January 28, 2008 1:11 PM
  • Similar problem here, great ranking in google and yahoo, but nowhere to be  found on msn? 

The site is indexed, but last crawled back in november according to the webmaster tools.

How long before it will be crawled again, and is there any way to speed up the process?

www.campinglabonnevie.com if it helps!

Cheers

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:08 PM
  • We're pretty convinced there's a tipping point of quality links at which point MSN picks up the site.  We went from 1 to 418 pages indexed in 3 days.   Nothing materially changed with the site and we'd given up on MSN entirely.  We still don't rank well compared to elsewhere but that is probably because it's slow picking up backlinks.

I'm going to try to go through some steps and what we found this evening in a more detailed post.  It's pretty clear though MSN is keying on some backlinks to trigger the whole ball moving forward.  That is of course unless we were blacklisted and Jeremiah or someone else corrected the problem. 

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:42 PM
  • Hello,

Probably nothing at all wrong with your site, you are just like thousands of others. If you indexed correctly on yahoo and google you should be happy as only an idiot would use Live Search, It's broken and it's not going to get fixed any time soon either. Don't waste your time, MS is extremely rigid and will never admit Live Search is *** and they need to work on it.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:59 PM
  • Wow get this they edited out the word c-r-a-p from my post. They must consider it foul language. LOL
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 10:02 PM
  • I think your observations are truly quite astute, and meaningful.

It's a shame really, but I agree, anybody with any internet savvy at all, would use Google or Yahoo for searches.

But in this world of plebs, lemons and cabbages, there is probably a huge global populus that will use Live, cos they know no better. To them it has the backing of a large organisation,so it seems fitting that it must have some credence.

To use a parallel it's a bit like Northern Rock, once a big key player, over-night it collapsed.

And what's more, it'll deserve it,....not if it happens....when it happens.

Net technology, including search commodities are moving at a very fast pace, as the net "evolves".

"live" search will become Dead Search, as sure as my bot never heals up!

Keep it up Live!.....keep playing with the no-brainers!.....LOL

Even Yahoo is shedding jobs this month......and they're a good number 2!

The auditors will have their day.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 9:34 PM
  •  

Comparing Microsoft and Yahoo in terms of staying power is really not relevant.  Microsoft will be around for ages, Yahoo - what exactly does Yahoo do or sell to mass markets?   Google is eating Microsoft's lunch on the search side now and at some point Microsoft has to make the decision on whether or not they really want to compete.  All of us switched from MSN in our browsers because Google was so much better 5 years ago and 5 years later it still is.

What we're finding is Live is averse to  new content under a few months old.  Even new category pages we create - as an example logo portfolio and logo t shirt are not indexed and appear to go into hiding for about a month or two.  In short, after 3 months if you aren't reindexed start taking a look at the site and the logs.

Really though nothing changes the fact that at this stage the relevancy of Live is in doubt, even when we were inadvertently running paid ads on their network the traffic was 4-5% of what we got from the others!

Thursday, January 31, 2008 2:13 AM
  • What does yahoo do or sell to mass markets? You ever heard of Yahoo Web Hosting??? Yah they sell all the tools you need to get your company up and running on the internet. Very useable too.  Microsoft will be around for ages because their praying on the computer illiterate majority. Your statement "What we're finding is Live is averse to new content under a few months old” is ridicules. You don't have a clue as to what you’re talking about. Sites with perfect code have been up for over a year and Live doesn't index them correctly.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 4:06 AM
  • Microsoft will be around for ages because they own the operating system used by the vast majority of computers worldwide and the office software used by the majority worldwide.  Every few years we hear about the next best thing and here we are in 2008 and they've dominated for more than a decade.

I can only tell you what happened with our site and what our experience was in that case.  Sorry you find it ridiculuous, I wish you luck in getting indexed.  Others are reporting improvements similar to ours. 

Good luck

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:26 AM
  • Agreed there, MS will be around for a while, if for no other reason than momentum. There is a limit to momentum however. I was wondering if you had found any other resource, forum or otherwise, for getting answers on these questions?.... this forum is starkly lacking in real answers.
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:36 PM
  • MS BS, what were you saying about Yahoo (soon to be Microsoft Yahoo)? Smile

Microsoft buying Yahoo is like most of us buying a new TV.   Hopefully they'll dump the live search engine and just improve on Yahoo.

Going to get interesting.

Friday, February 1, 2008 9:34 PM
  • You make me give thanks to god my head isn't jammed up my a-s-s like yours. You'll never have a clue.
    Saturday, February 2, 2008 2:28 AM
  • Which site was it you were having trouble with again?

Saturday, February 2, 2008 10:25 PM