How does Windows Live Mesh synchronize files? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Does Windows Live Mesh support XP Home?

Does Windows Live Mesh synchronize files over the Internet even the files are sitting in the computer on the same LAN?  In other words, will the sync work within the LAN where there is no Internet connection?

Does Windows Live Mesh upload/download only the changed part of a file or does it upload/download the whole file regardless how much change has been done?

Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:41 AM

All replies

•  

Since you are referring to Windows Live Mesh, not Live Mesh - www.mesh.com , you're in the wrong forum

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

Answers to your questions:

No XP Support

Windows Live Mesh will sync P2P via the shortest available path. In some cases, that might be the Internet if there are local connectivity issues.

The whole file is copied.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:53 AM
  • Are the files locked while the copying process is taking place?
    Windows 7 Professional RTM 2 GB memory 160 HD Networked (wired and wireless)Gateway Laptop HP Officejet 6310 All-in One inkjet printer Verizon FIOS Internet Connection
    Monday, November 1, 2010 12:53 PM
  • I suspect not - both Vista and Win7 support Volume Shadow Copy, so the file can be in use while a copy is made. I suppose that there are scenarios where this won't work.

However this isn't the place to ask. Go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, November 1, 2010 1:06 PM
  • I never seem to get response at the other forum.  If I do get, there doesn't seem to be quality one.
    Monday, November 1, 2010 10:14 PM
  • I never seem to get response at the other forum.  If I do get, there doesn't seem to be quality one.

I'm sorry about that. :-( Personally, I dislike those forums. I wish that they were on this forum platform/software, but Support owns and manages them and needs functionality (escalation, private sessions, and the solutions pages) that the other Microsoft.com forums don't provide.

I hope that I answered your questions to your satisfaction, though.

I use Windows Live Mesh, but haven't worked extensively with it as I have the Live Mesh beta.

-steve

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 12:29 PM
  • I was very surprised that you told me the whole file would be uploaded/downloaded even there was a little change.  I thought they could do like incremental backup and took only the block that was changed which would save a lot of bandwidth.  With the advanced technology that Microsoft have developed I wonder if they really leave it as that.  I am using dropbox for synchronising files and folders and they have told me they only transfer the bit that is changed.  They also have LAN sync with which the transfer does not go through Internet if the computer to be updated is on the same LAN and is also on at the time.  I am not too sure if Windows Live Mesh behaves the same.

By the way I have since copied this original post to the forum you suggested hoping to get a second opinion on copying the whole file and I still have not got any response.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 12:47 PM
  • I could be wrong about the whole file thing, but I think not as Windows Live Mesh owes much to Live Mesh beta - which does/did do whole file copy as opposed to specific changed bits.

Yes, Windows Live Mesh should also sync locally, P2P, when the PCs are on the same LAN segment. There are possible scenarios where this would not work as expected, but Live Mesh beta has always done local P2P, so Windows Live Mesh would do the same.

Once again - :-( on the WLHelp forums... I do hope that the situation improves.

-steve

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Thanks for your input.
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 1:29 AM