Office suddenly is not genuine RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have been suffering the same problem as many for the last couple of weeks and I have followed the instructions on the relevant posts I can find.  It may be possible that the supplier used a Partner program CD to install the software initially but I was supplied with the disks and packaging.

I have tried to repair / reinstall office pro 2003 from the original CD and product key the key was accepted and that seemed to work for a few hours then suddenly it didn't work and it came up with the same message again.

I tried regedit and found two office product keys that I backed up and then deleted.  When I then ran office again and it asked for the product key when I entered it this time it said my product key was not a valid key.  I restored one of the regedit backups and that worked again for a few hours then it came up with the message again.

Then I started to have all sorts of problems starting outlook I got 'the operation failed' I rebooted and started outlook again.  Then when I closed outlook it shut down the computer which I then had to restart before being able to do anything.  This happened a couple of times.

Then when I shut it down last night it installed 4 more updates before shutting down.

This morning I have got my CD out again to try to sort the problem once again and suddenly I am not getting the message am I suddenly genuine again or is that only going to last a few hours again? Oh no I just tried to open an e-mail and windows shut down again.

The version I have is Microsoft Office Professional 2003 packaged with a Business contact Manager update and office profesional edition 2003 service pack 2.  The office disks are gold hologram type in a sleave with OEM Software sticker on the back all printed up Microsft and Do not discard the disk or this CD case.

Friday, November 12, 2010 10:32 AM

All replies

• You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare

What made you think that OneCare Install and Activate was a good place to post?

Office forums are here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/group/Office

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, November 12, 2010 12:04 PM
  • Sorry I was browsing related topics on right hand side searcing for answers then clicked on ask a question at the top I didn't realise which of the forums I was in and assumed as I was reading a post about activation and validation I would be in a relevant location.

Have you moved my post to the correct office location where it might get answered or just binned it?

David
    Friday, November 12, 2010 12:55 PM
  • Ah! I love the Microsoft forums... Thanks for letting me know how you ended up here!

I can't move your post to the Office forums as they live on a different environment from this one. Your original post is above. you can select all of the text, copy it to your clipboard, paste it in notepad or other programs, then go to the Office forums at the link above. Create a new question or search first to see if someone else posted any solutions that may work for you. You can paste your saved text into a new question in the Office forums.

My personal opinion about your issue is that it is deeper than an Office problem. It may be a Windows or hardware issue - and it may mean that the PC is infected. it may well be worth backing up your data, wiping the PC and installing Windows and Office fresh.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, November 12, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Thanks

I have done that now and posted a new post in the office section.

I went to validate office this morning and this time it vallidated successfully all very confusing but this all started after an office update.  I will battle on for now.

David
    Friday, November 12, 2010 2:37 PM