Recovering a Lost Prodcut Key RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased and installed Windows XP on a computer I built three years ago.  Yesterday the computer crashed to the point where Windows XP won't even boot, which means I'll have to re-install Windows XP to resurrect my machine.  I still have the original Windows XP CD I purchased in 2003, but I have lost the original box and user's manual which contained the product key.  Is there a way I can re-install Windows XP on my machine without having to go out and buy another copy?  Thanks.
    Sunday, November 26, 2006 3:17 AM

Answers

• Yeah, the computer is pretty much dead at this point and to fix it will require formatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows.  Ironically it was my Antivirus software that did something to corrupt key files and cause the crash.  Fortunately all of my important files are on two other "slave" hard drives, which I can access by other means.  I think I can survive using the laptop until Vista comes out.  Thanks for your help!
    Sunday, November 26, 2006 3:32 AM

All replies

• If the computer is still operational:

Retrieve your Windows XP CD key
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

However, if the computer will not boot, then you cannot
    obviously use the above program to find the Product Key.
    In that case, proceed with the following:

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-us
    Sunday, November 26, 2006 3:27 AM
  • Yeah, the computer is pretty much dead at this point and to fix it will require formatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows.  Ironically it was my Antivirus software that did something to corrupt key files and cause the crash.  Fortunately all of my important files are on two other "slave" hard drives, which I can access by other means.  I think I can survive using the laptop until Vista comes out.  Thanks for your help!
    Sunday, November 26, 2006 3:32 AM