none
Help! I can't Use my Windows Home Server Restore CD to restore my crashed Windows Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Help Needed!!!

I have a Windows Home Server 2011 for years and it runs well with no issues at all, recently since the Disc space is going low, I decided to try expand it through a full server backup and restore using my restore CD, I burned restore CD successfully and conducted a full backup (2.56TB) with partial success (the picture drive didn't went through), then I tried to test the restore CD before go next step, and then bad luck happens, the restore CD booted the system but failed to locate the server disc and driver, and keeps on asking the driver installation information (*.ini) which I don't know where, while I can find all the driver folder information in file explore window. And after I tried auto repair, still the error message is missing boot load, sounds like a dead loop. Anyone out there can help me out the next step?

Please Help!

Sunday, March 12, 2017 7:08 AM

All replies

• What do you mean with "I burned restore CD". You must use the original installation DVD as per the following:

https://technet.microsoft.com/nl-nl/library/hh148189(v=ws.11).aspx

Luc.

Sunday, March 12, 2017 10:20 AM
  • Thank you Luc,

But my case is my Windows server was upgraded to WHS2011, and I don't have the original installation DVD, instead, I just have the former generation installation DVD which is Windows Server 2003 based. And I've tried that one, but other than demand for a total re-build lead to wipe off all the data on disc which I can't afford and further more, the disc itself is remain healthy. Since there's build restore disc option in WHS2011 and I've used it to burn the restore Disc which can load the system and capable to find all the logic drivers with folders there as well as my USB backup image being located (funny thing is the installation DVD can't find anything). But after the restore wizard finished and the system reboot, the error message always missing bootmgr, so still failed to restore the server back to life,

So any suggestions you can give me or I have no option but to find an original installation DVD image online?

Anyway, thx for your help out there!

Daniel

Sunday, March 12, 2017 11:32 AM
  • I'm afraid that you need the WHS2011 installation DVD and I doubt that you will find the image online.

Do you have a desktop PC on which to mount the original WHS2011 system drive as an extra drive? If so install a disk cloning software on that PC and then image the WHS2011 C: partition. Next replace the original WHS2011 drive with the new drive you want to use in your WHS and write the saved image  to the new drive using the cloning software. I have done this with success using Macrium Reflect Free Edition.

You can also do the above on a laptop but you will need an USB to SATA adapter to connect the drives that you want to clone.

Luc.

Sunday, March 12, 2017 4:50 PM
  • Thank you Luc, will give it a try. Anyway I managed to find a WHS2011 iso online by friend and tried to use it to restore the system, but sounds like the result is the same (missing bootmgr). The only thing I fear to rebuild is whether I'll lose the files in the computer and can't load the backup file in the new system, is that the case?

Daniel

Monday, March 13, 2017 12:17 PM