Client machines can't see WHS (new install) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I'm brand new to WHS, so please bear with me.  I just installed the 30 day trial on an old box, and the install seemed to go great.   Computer boots, and I can see it on the DHCP table on the router.  However, the client machine cannot see it at all.   When I try to install the connector software, it searches for the WHS machine, and errors out when it cannot find one.  I thought maybe the problem was that the WHS machine was in a different workgroup, so I changed the WHS box's workgroup to that of the rest of my network.  Still no success. 

Also, I don't seem to be able to load the console on the WHS.   When I click the console icon on the desktop, it looks for a second like it's going to load something, but then nothing happens.  I assume that's not the way it's supposed to be?

Any idea what I might have done wrong?   I checked on here and some other forums, and found plenty of posts of people who had successful connections and then lost them, but nothing that quite matched my problem.  FWIW, both machines are connected by ethernet to a wired bridge, which then connects to a wireless router.  The router can see the server (thought it has some strange machine name).  The Client is running Windows 7 home premium, with a workgroup but no homegroup.

Any suggestions would me most appreciated.

thanks!

Mike
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:35 AM

Answers

• Sorry for the delay in responding. When I rebooted the machine, I couldn't even see it in the DCHP list any more.  However, I discovered that HWS wasn't recognizing the network card, so after installing one updated driver, it all worked fine. 

Thanks!
    • Edited by RedMike512 Friday, March 5, 2010 3:23 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by RedMike512 Friday, March 5, 2010 3:23 PM
    Friday, March 5, 2010 3:23 PM

All replies

• Can you ping the server (using the strange machine name, which is a temporary name until you've gone through OOBE setup on a client)?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:49 PM
  • Sorry for the delay in responding. When I rebooted the machine, I couldn't even see it in the DCHP list any more.  However, I discovered that HWS wasn't recognizing the network card, so after installing one updated driver, it all worked fine. 

Thanks!
    • Edited by RedMike512 Friday, March 5, 2010 3:23 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by RedMike512 Friday, March 5, 2010 3:23 PM
    Friday, March 5, 2010 3:23 PM