Which Visual Studio when preparing for 70-536? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody.

I'm aiming for the .NET 4 certification tracks, but since 70-536 didn't get an update I'm taking it anyway.

The question is, the Microsoft Learning site says it's a Visual Studio 2005 exam. Is it ok to use Visual Studio 2008 to do the Training Kit exercises and for the overall preparation as well? Or should I setup a virtual machine just for Visual Studio 2005?

I've also heard using Visual Studio 2010 to prepare for this exam is totally out of question. I appreciate any comments on that too.

Thanks in advance!

Monday, July 18, 2011 4:38 AM

Answers

• There are some things common between 2005 and 2008 however the exam is based on 2005 therefore you should use 2005 to study.  2010 should not be used.

There is no need to setup a virtual machine as both products can be installed and used on the same pc.

BTW, why are you doing 70-536 if you want to get certified for .Net 4?  Doing this exam would be a waste of time as it's not used to get .Net 4 certified.  Please have a read of the following to see what exams you need to take http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx#tab2

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Monday, July 18, 2011 5:05 AM

All replies

• There are some things common between 2005 and 2008 however the exam is based on 2005 therefore you should use 2005 to study.  2010 should not be used.

There is no need to setup a virtual machine as both products can be installed and used on the same pc.

BTW, why are you doing 70-536 if you want to get certified for .Net 4?  Doing this exam would be a waste of time as it's not used to get .Net 4 certified.  Please have a read of the following to see what exams you need to take http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx#tab2

Jeff Wharton

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Monday, July 18, 2011 5:05 AM
  • Yes, I'm aware 70-536 is not required for .NET 4 certifications, but it seems that here in Brazil many employers and colleague developers still consider it important as a general statement of proper .NET knowledge. Further, the strong opinions regarding the exam not being updated just seem to add up to its relevance:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/CertGeneral/thread/b2d9bf28-0f6b-4389-9ded-62edc0e5b356

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/gerryo/archive/2009/04/13/certification-update-and-small-survey.aspx

Thanks for the answers!

Monday, July 18, 2011 5:47 AM
  • Agree and as a MCT, I have discussed this many times with students and Microsoft :-)
    Jeff Wharton

Monday, July 18, 2011 5:56 AM
  • Hello,

According to Microsoft, Candidates for this exam work on a team in a medium-sized or large

development environment that uses Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 Enterprise Developer, Microsoft

Visual Studio 2005, or Microsoft Visual Studio 2008.

thanks

Najee

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:42 AM
  • Hello,

According to Microsoft, Candidates for this exam work on a team in a medium-sized or large

development environment that uses Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 Enterprise Developer, Microsoft

Visual Studio 2005, or Microsoft Visual Studio 2008.

thanks

Najee

My experience as a MCT has taught me that this is not true.  That is why every certification preparation guide states:

Note This preparation guide is subject to change at any time without prior notice and at the sole discretion of Microsoft. Microsoft exams might include adaptive testing technology and simulation items. Microsoft does not identify the format in which exams are presented. Please use this preparation guide to prepare for the exam, regardless of its format.

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:53 AM