Can't do a full client restore on a windows 8.1 laptop in WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I use the special CD for client restore but I can't connect to the server, I don't know anymore what to do after 2 days, please help me!!
    Monday, January 27, 2014 6:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Gary,

This did it, the right driver is the one from Windows 7, but to extract it from the .exe file wasn't so easy, restoring went OK as long as you make the partitions equal to the ones on the restore.

After finishing the restore my laptop wasn't bootable anymore, but I could solve this problem in diskpart.

Thanks a lot for your reply!!!! 

• Marked as answer by Bakkel007 Friday, January 31, 2014 7:44 PM
    Friday, January 31, 2014 7:44 PM

All replies

• Are you saying you have successful backups from your Win 8.1 machine to the Server?

If so, I hope that you have installed the UEFI/GPT Hotfix (KB2781272) on the Server or you will not be able to restore them.

If you have installed the Hotfix, your original Client Restore CD will not work and you need to create a bootable USB key using the Server Dashboard on the server itself.

Not sure any of that relates to why you can't connect to your server - what are the symptoms? Are you loading the correct network card drivers?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, January 27, 2014 7:08 PM
  • Thank you for the fast reply. I do have a successful backup but I can't connect to the server with the CD. I also tried the created USB key but my laptop won't boot from this.

I'm loading the correct network card drivers i guess, but I Always get a message that the server can not be found.

I will have to check later if the specified Hotfix is installed.

Monday, January 27, 2014 8:40 PM
  • The hotfix must be there otherwise i wouldn't have a successful backup on the server.
    Monday, January 27, 2014 8:47 PM
  • I agree, but the Hotfix is not automatically loaded - you need to have made a conscious effort to download and install it.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, January 27, 2014 8:57 PM
  • I checked and the hotfix is loaded, but why can't I boot my laptop with the USB key?
    Monday, January 27, 2014 9:42 PM
  • No idea! You created it on your Server and tried to boot with it? What happens when you select it as the boot device?

Monday, January 27, 2014 10:30 PM
  • It just won't boot at all.
    Monday, January 27, 2014 10:33 PM
  • Can you boot from any USB key? If you can I suggest you recreate the WHS key.

Monday, January 27, 2014 10:56 PM
  • I can boot now from USB created on whs 2011 but I get stuck on the same step when I'm using the client restore CD.

I'm loading the network drivers delivered with my laptop, systems says they are loaded successful and I click next, I get the screen from WHS 2011 and the system is trying to make the connection, this is where it fails, the system cannot find my server.

The weird thing is that before I have to load the drivers, the system doesn't detect any network devices, maybe this might the problem?? 

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:52 AM
  • Is your server working correctly? Can you open the Dashboard etc with another machine?

Is the IP address of your W8.1 laptop you are trying to restore correct? Can you ping your Server from the W8.1 Laptop? Can you ping the laptop from the Server?

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:53 PM
  • Server OK, Dashboard OK, address OK, Ping from laptop to server OK, Ping from server to laptop OK.

I even tested the network with a desktop on the same switch. 

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:18 PM
  • The Laptop Ping was done under the WHS recovery environment?

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:07 PM
  • No, I don't know how to do that in the recovery environment.
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:10 PM
  • I can't remember either! Isn't there a way to get to a Command Prompt?

Failing all this, you can try recovering to the W8.1 Laptop disk using another PC. I can't rememember the exact detail but a search on this Forum should find it. Basically you copy a folder from your server and run the ClientRestoreWizard locally with your  laptop drive attached to your local machine. That way you are not reliant upon networking working under the recovery environment. Good luck.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:15 PM
  • Problem is that the laptop drive are 2 msata's  in raid0!
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:21 PM
  • Then I am out of ideas!

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:26 PM
  • Thanks for the effort.
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:38 PM

Shift + F10 to get the command prompt.

Luc.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:48 PM

Shift + F10 to get the command prompt.

Luc.

Thanks - that should allow him to see if the drivers are really loaded and there is a communication path to the Server.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Does your laptop have a wired Ethernet connection?  If so, please make a wired connection from your laptop to your network (and load the correct drivers) before attempting the restore. WiFi may not be supported.

A important note on drivers: WHS normally makes a snapshot of the boot drivers on your system and saves these with the client backup to be used in case of a restore. However, WHS 2011 is based on Windows Server 2008 R2, so the boot disk time recovery environment it loads for bare metal restores needs drivers that work with THAT version of Windows (Windows 7 drivers are usually fine).  If your machine is running Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, the drivers that WHS has saved with the client backup MAY NOT WORK in the recovery environment, because they aren't for the right version of Windows.

If that is your issue, you will need to download compatible Windows 7/2008 R2 network drivers from your OEM and extract them to a USB stick so that you can load them manually on your laptop during the bare metal restore.  Some OEMs only provide drivers as .exe packages.  In that case, they usually will self-extract to a temporary location on your machine before running the installer.  Just run the .exe, allow the extraction, then cancel the install.  Now you can copy the extracted files to a USB key to use with your recovery.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:41 PM
  • Shift + F10  does not work in recovery environment
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:50 PM
  • Does your laptop have a wired Ethernet connection?  If so, please make a wired connection from your laptop to your network (and load the correct drivers) before attempting the restore. WiFi may not be supported.

A important note on drivers: WHS normally makes a snapshot of the boot drivers on your system and saves these with the client backup to be used in case of a restore. However, WHS 2011 is based on Windows Server 2008 R2, so the boot disk time recovery environment it loads for bare metal restores needs drivers that work with THAT version of Windows (Windows 7 drivers are usually fine).  If your machine is running Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, the drivers that WHS has saved with the client backup MAY NOT WORK in the recovery environment, because they aren't for the right version of Windows.

If that is your issue, you will need to download compatible Windows 7/2008 R2 network drivers from your OEM and extract them to a USB stick so that you can load them manually on your laptop during the bare metal restore.  Some OEMs only provide drivers as .exe packages.  In that case, they usually will self-extract to a temporary location on your machine before running the installer.  Just run the .exe, allow the extraction, then cancel the install.  Now you can copy the extracted files to a USB key to use with your recovery.

That's where I was heading but I just wanted to see if they were loaded and working first!!

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:11 PM
  • Can't find the windows 7 driver for "lan-killer-bigfoot" 
    • Edited by Bakkel007 Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:21 PM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:20 PM
  • Hi,

Please check this article:

Using the Full System Restore wizard

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system-restore.aspx

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 6:13 AM
  • My problem seems to be that I cannot find the correct driver to connect to the network of the server!
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 10:02 AM
  • My problem seems to be that I cannot find the correct driver to connect to the network of the server!

Yes, we have all surmised as much. As I said, you'll have to locate a suitable driver from your computer manufacturer's Web site and get it onto a USB stick that you can access from the restore environment on your laptop.  Recall that it should be a driver for Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2. 

Exactly how to do this is probably outside the scope of this forum, but I'm confident that if you can find and load the right driver, you'll be able to proceed with your restore.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:31 AM
  • I finally found the right windows 7 driver, now my BMR ends successful but my laptop is not bootable.
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:02 AM
  • Hi Gary,

This did it, the right driver is the one from Windows 7, but to extract it from the .exe file wasn't so easy, restoring went OK as long as you make the partitions equal to the ones on the restore.

After finishing the restore my laptop wasn't bootable anymore, but I could solve this problem in diskpart.

• Marked as answer by Bakkel007 Friday, January 31, 2014 7:44 PM
    Friday, January 31, 2014 7:44 PM
  • Hi Gary,

You're welcome, glad you got it sorted. :-)

I see you have marked your own comment as the answer to the thread. If you find one of my comments (or anyone else's) useful, you can mark it as an answer also. It helps to keep forum members engaged to direct credit appropriately.  Thanks.

Saturday, February 1, 2014 4:01 PM