Possible to add a Whs disk to a Vista computer? RRS feed

• Question

• Im doing some structure on several computers, meaning my new WHS PC will be changed to a Vista computer. Can I still use that WHS disk - just movies, games, music and such - no backups on my Vista computer?  Or do i need to reformat that disk first? I will have one disk with the OS, and the just adding the other disk where I have saved my music and such.
    Monday, September 22, 2008 6:20 PM

Answers

• Pierce007 said:

That why Im posting here to get help.

Primary disk which is still active has the Windows logo on it.

The other disk which was removed, was my secondary.

So this means my secondary disk is empty and my primary has all my files I want to keep?

But shouldnt this be the oppsotite? Or can I now just install Vista on that secondary, and then recover my files on the WHS primary disk?

Well good you're asking for help! That's the smart thing to do.

All you data should now be on the primary disk, secondary should be empty.

You can check the content of the disks by taking the disk out of the WHS and connect it to another computer, then find your files in the primary disk, second partition on this disk (drive letter will depend on the available drive letters on the computer you use) in the hidden (remember to enable view hidden files and folder in explorer) DE folder. 

Another way to check the data is actually on your primary disk:

1. Shutdown WHS
    2. Disconnect power to the secondary disk
    3. Reboot WHS
    4. Al your data should now be accessible from the server shares (try and open a number of files to be sure)
    • Marked as answer by Pierce007 Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:02 PM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 6:33 PM

All replies

• Pierce007 said:

Im doing some structure on several computers, meaning my new WHS PC will be changed to a Vista computer. Can I still use that WHS disk - just movies, games, music and such - no backups on my Vista computer?  Or do i need to reformat that disk first? I will have one disk with the OS, and the just adding the other disk where I have saved my music and such.

If you mean it was a secondary drive in WHS, yes, you can still use that disk.  WHS uses standard NTFS formatted hard drives.  The data on that drive will be stored in a hidden folder called DE.  However, if it was the primary hard drive for WHS, you will need to format it first.
    Monday, September 22, 2008 6:59 PM
  • Well...not sure which of the two disks are what actually....How can I found out?
    Monday, September 22, 2008 7:04 PM
  • Pierce007 said:

Well...not sure which of the two disks are what actually....How can I found out?

Look at the Server Storage tab in the Console.  The primary drive (the one with the OS files) will have a Windows logo on it.  As long as the drives are diffferent sizes (or probably even different manufacturers), you should be able to determine from there.
    Monday, September 22, 2008 7:23 PM
  • Yeah found it.

So just started the remove disk option now. Will then add thid disk on my Vista computer.

Thanks for the help!

If I was to have backup files on that secondary disk, it wouldnt be readable on my Vista computer is that true?
    Monday, September 22, 2008 7:30 PM
  • Pierce007 said:

Yeah found it.

So just started the remove disk option now. Will then add thid disk on my Vista computer.

Thanks for the help!

If I was to have backup files on that secondary disk, it wouldnt be readable on my Vista computer is that true?

I think you lost me somewhere. :)

I was under the impression you were getting rid of WHS in favor of Vista.  If so, you don't need to remove the hard drives through the Console at all (since you're going to be re-assigning them anyway).  Just physically pull the secondary drive from the server and be done with it.

Now if you are keeping WHS, then yes, you need to remove the drive through the Console.  When you do that, everything on that drive will be moved (not copied) to another drive in the server, so when the process is complete, the drive you remove will be empty (so there would be no backup files on that hard drive).

And no, the WHS backup database is not readable in anything except WHS.

Monday, September 22, 2008 11:40 PM
  • Pierce007 said:

Im doing some structure on several computers, meaning my new WHS PC will be changed to a Vista computer. Can I still use that WHS disk - just movies, games, music and such - no backups on my Vista computer?  Or do i need to reformat that disk first? I will have one disk with the OS, and the just adding the other disk where I have saved my music and such.

Yes, you will be able to access files in your shares provided you don't install Vista on the WHS data disk. Before installing Vista:

1. I presume you currently have two disks in your WHS, both added to the WHS pool.
    2. Enable duplication for all shares.
    3. Reboot to make sure WHS starts migrating data to the WHS data disk.
    4. Allow WHS to migrate all data. Depending on the total data size and the speed of your system this may take a few hours up to a few days. You can check this by logging on to your WHS using remote desktop, then look for the files in C:\fs\X (X represents a drive letter)
    5. After all data are migrated to the data disk disconnect power to the WHS data disk (reboot to check you disconnected the WHS data disk and not the WHS system disk.
    6. Install Vista on the primary WHS disk.
    7. After install completed reconnect power to the former WHS data disk
    8. You should now find all you files in a (hidden) folder "DE" on that disk. You may need to enable "view hidden files and folders" in explorer options.
    Monday, September 22, 2008 11:58 PM
  • Yes two disks.

I had the duplication enabled, but had to deable it since I couldnt use the remove disk option do to server storage space.

There's nothing in the c:\fs\x folder though.

But since I have used the duplication and now managed to use the remove disk option, I presume that disk is ok with my files?
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 5:54 PM
  • Pierce007 said:

Yes two disks.

I had the duplication enabled, but had to deable it since I couldnt use the remove disk option do to server storage space.

There's nothing in the c:\fs\x folder though.

But since I have used the duplication and now managed to use the remove disk option, I presume that disk is ok with my files?

Depends on which disk you mean.

1. Your data should now all be on the D partition of your primary drive.

2. The disk you removed using the WHS console should be empty. That's also why there's nothing showing up in C:\fs, actually you shouldn't even see a drive letter there if the secondary disk has been removed.

Please be very careful not to use the wrong disk for the Vista install!!! 

Please don't proceed unless you really know what you're doing!!!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 6:04 PM
  • That why Im posting here to get help.

So this means my secondary disk is empty and my primary has all my files I want to keep?

But shouldnt this be the oppsotite? Or can I now just install Vista on that secondary, and then recover my files on the WHS primary disk?

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 6:23 PM
  • Pierce007 said:

That why Im posting here to get help.

Well good you're asking for help! That's the smart thing to do.

All you data should now be on the primary disk, secondary should be empty.

You can check the content of the disks by taking the disk out of the WHS and connect it to another computer, then find your files in the primary disk, second partition on this disk (drive letter will depend on the available drive letters on the computer you use) in the hidden (remember to enable view hidden files and folder in explorer) DE folder. 

Another way to check the data is actually on your primary disk:

1. Shutdown WHS
    2. Disconnect power to the secondary disk
    3. Reboot WHS
    4. Al your data should now be accessible from the server shares (try and open a number of files to be sure)
    • Marked as answer by Pierce007 Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:02 PM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 6:33 PM
  • Done....

Then one thing remains......

When I now install Vista, will it be installed on my primary or secondary disk. If Primary, how can I change it to the secondaty since all my files I want to keep is on the primary disk?
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 6:58 PM
  • Pierce007 said:

Done....

Then one thing remains......

When I now install Vista, will it be installed on my primary or secondary disk. If Primary, how can I change it to the secondaty since all my files I want to keep is on the primary disk?

It will be installed on whichever drive you tell it to install on. :)  What I would suggest is shut down the server, unplug the primary drive (so there's no chance you accidentally install on the wrong drive), then install Vista on the only drive left (the secondary drive).
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:54 PM
  • Install it on the secondary which was safely removed, right.

And keep the primary which the WHS OS was installed on and ad this to the secondary.

Just wanna make sure I dont make any mistakes....
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:26 PM
  • Pierce007 said:

Install it on the secondary which was safely removed, right.

And keep the primary which the WHS OS was installed on and ad this to the secondary.

Just wanna make sure I dont make any mistakes....

Yes, and please first check if your files actually are present on the primary drive. (Disconnect secondary drive, reboot, check if the files in the shares are still accesible.
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:48 PM
  • Files are still accesible indeed.  So I guess its time to install Vista then on the secondary disk and then add the primary disk afterwards.

Just one more thing that crossed my mind here.

Can I install WHs on one disk and Vista on the other disk, meaning I can use two OS?
    I know that you can have Vista and XP on one disk as far as I remember....
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:11 PM
  • Have done this. The files can be found, however it seems I have no access to these files...

How to fix this?
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Pierce007 said:

Have done this. The files can be found, however it seems I have no access to these files...

How to fix this?

You probably need to take ownership of those files.  Right click on a folder, select Security tab, then click the Advanced button, followed by the Owner tab, then click Edit.  Select your profile, then click Replace owner on subcontainers and objects (followed by a couple OKs).
    • Marked as answer by Pierce007 Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Pierce007 Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:50 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:36 AM
  • Solved it - went to the wrong folders. Had to enable hidden files first then access those files instead!
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:50 PM
  • Pierce007 said:

Solved it - went to the wrong folders. Had to enable hidden files first then access those files instead!

Yep, which is step 8 in my first post in this thread. Glad you all worked it out now!
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:01 PM