Back of Home PC on Intel ICH8R RAID5 RRS feed

• Question

• Am about to setup auto backup in WHS of my main machine that uses the 965E chipset and the Intel ICH8R drive controller.

I currently have 4 - 250 gig disks set as a RAID 5 on this particular machine-----shows up as a C: Drive disk of approx 710 gigs.

Again----it appears as my normal Drive C:

Should I anticipate any problems??? Does WHS have trouble backing up and restoring desktop user RAID???

Anybody have any experience with this????

This is NOT a high level, professional RAID array-----simply a consumer level solution Intel provides on it's ICH8R chip that is faily standard on consumer level motherboards.

Of the 7 PCs i want to hook to the WHS-----two have RAID Arrays----so I'm REALLY hoping this is no big deal.....

I should have asked this question earlier, but it just didn't occur to me....

Thanks for any help.

John

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 7:45 PM

Answers

• Thanks fellas----just what I was looking for....

I'll simply keep a USB flash drive handy-----and if ever needed, will copy those extra drivers from that folder in the backup.

If I remember----there was a section in Woody Leonhard's book that described the same procedure about "unique drivers"----didn't mention RAID----but I can see where it should apply to RAID as well.....

I like the "copy by cluster" concept-----seems so simple......

Thursday, January 3, 2008 1:37 AM

All replies

•  johnrr6 wrote:
    Am about to setup auto backup in WHS of my main machine that uses the 965E chipset and the Intel ICH8R drive controller.

I currently have 4 - 250 gig disks set as a RAID 5 on this particular machine-----shows up as a C: Drive disk of approx 710 gigs.

Again----it appears as my normal Drive C:

Should I anticipate any problems??? Does WHS have trouble backing up and restoring desktop user RAID???

As far as I know, backing up should go without a hitch.  Restoring should be ok as well as long as you are aware of one caveat:  you can only restore to a hard drive that is at least the same size as the original (if not bigger).  So, in your case, you cannot restore to a hard drive (whether a single drive or a RAID configuration) of less than 750 GB.

johnrr6 wrote:
    Anybody have any experience with this????

This is NOT a high level, professional RAID array-----simply a consumer level solution Intel provides on it's ICH8R chip that is faily standard on consumer level motherboards.

Of the 7 PCs i want to hook to the WHS-----two have RAID Arrays----so I'm REALLY hoping this is no big deal.....

I should have asked this question earlier, but it just didn't occur to me....

Thanks for any help.

John

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 8:04 PM
  • John, in order to restore to an array, either the Windows Home Server PC Restore CD will have to have drivers for your RAID controller already, or you will have to supply drivers when you do the restore. Windows Home Server makes supplying all the correct network and storage drivers relatively easy; every time you back up a PC, a folder is created in the backup called "Windows Home Server Drivers For Restore." In that folder are all the drivers for that PC. You can simply open up a backup  of the PC to be restored on any client PC, copy that folder to a USB drive, then use it to load drivers during the restore.

I can tell you from personal experience that the drivers on the Restore CD don't include the ICH8R driver. Your controller will show up as a generic RAID controller. I haven't done a restore in that configuration, so I can't say if it works, but I have done a restore with the drivers from a backup, and that works just fine.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 10:55 PM
  • Thanks fellas----just what I was looking for....

I'll simply keep a USB flash drive handy-----and if ever needed, will copy those extra drivers from that folder in the backup.

If I remember----there was a section in Woody Leonhard's book that described the same procedure about "unique drivers"----didn't mention RAID----but I can see where it should apply to RAID as well.....

I like the "copy by cluster" concept-----seems so simple......

Thursday, January 3, 2008 1:37 AM