data migration from crm 2011 to crm 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are planing for data migration from crm 2011 to crm 2013 On-Premise.

After googling we got the following tools can you let us know which tool is better. what are the pros and cons

Scribe tool
    Kingswaysoft tool
    Cozyroc tool
    Balanced Data Distributor tool
    Custom dotnet tool appraoch

Thanks

Thriveni

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:18 AM

All replies

• If you have an on-premise installation you don't need to migrate data or use any of these tools - You just backup your database and import it into a new CRM 2013 deployment (tests are required before going to production of course)

Unless you are moving from an online to on-premise environment?

Michael

Thursday, February 13, 2014 9:12 AM
  • we are going to develop our application with crm 2013 from scratch. After development we are planning to migrate data from CRm2011 to CRm2013. In this Scenario which tool is better.

Thriveni

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:34 AM
  • Hi Thriveni,

What is the volume of data that you need to migrate? If it too much and you have a short window to import it than avoid Scribe, if it is medium or less than you should consider Scribe, it's easy to use and most popular.

For Kingswaysoft adapter, you will need SSIS skills and if your team has those skills then this one processes data really fast.

Custom dotnet tool will take ages to develop as you would have to take care of whole lot of scenerios and these are kind of tools are often flaky. So my advise would be to aviod it.

Thanks

Vaibhav

• Proposed as answer by Vaibhav Tiwari Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:49 PM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:49 PM
  • I am going through the same process right now and had a similar question not too long ago. Please check out this thread. Also make sure all customizations are compatible with CRM 2013.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/950caef6-3b7e-4eb7-8f46-4dcf3e384c16/upgrade-crm-2011-to-crm-2013?forum=crmdeployment

What I am not quite clear about is if during the installation of CRM 2013 I should name my organization differently than the one I will import or the same. If it's the same then I first have to go and delete the databases the installer created or I cannot import my CRM 2011 database into SQL (since it already exists).

I was considering Scribe but it seems complex and there seems to be no support at all (they don't even respond to pre-sales questions).

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 5:03 PM
  • Hi Hfaun,

could you let us know what all are the issues you are facing with Scribe.

Thriveni.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:15 AM
  • DThriveni, I did visit their website but it was not clear to me which product I need. When I looked at the individual products I also saw a lot of dependencies, e.g. for this product you also need that product. At that point I contacted them to find out what exactly I need so I don't buy the wrong item. However, they never responded. Considering this and that the products are quite costly I decided against Scribe.
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 4:52 PM