event log error: ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting" RRS feed

• Question

• I've had 7 of these show up in event log the last couple days.  Details are almost always this:

EventType clr20r3, P1 homeserverconsole.exe, P2 6.0.0.0, P3 46e0a6f8, P4 whscommon, P5 6.0.0.0, P6 473ae77b, P7 30e, P8 2f, P9 system.componentmodel.win32, P10 NIL.

Is this something to worry about?   I've poked around this forum and can't see anything similar...

Thanks
    Saturday, April 19, 2008 5:41 PM

Answers

• I wonder if there was a 'glitch' when 'upgrading' from the 120 to OEM version.

Personally, as a matter of regular practice, I never ever upgrade like that. In something as important as a server particularly, I always scrub the previous version and start from scratch, as it's impossible to know what is or isn't changed. I did notice your thread re the User Account issue, and I think you have done the right thing.

There have been a 'few' comments regarding add-ins causing problems, but they are very few and far between; they appear to be very well behaved up 'till now.

Good luck with the re-install.

Colin

Saturday, April 19, 2008 7:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This problem occurs because the default policy for unhandled exceptions has changed in the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. By default, the policy for unhandled exceptions is to end the worker process.

In the .NET Framework versions 1.1 and 1.0, unhandled exceptions on managed threads are ignored. Unless you attached a debugger to catch the exception, you would not realize that anything was wrong.

ASP.NET uses the default policy for unhandled exceptions in the .NET Framework 2.0. When an unhandled exception is thrown, the ASP.NET-based application unexpectedly quits.

There is a KB page explaining the process, but it would appear there is a leak somewhere.

Does it manifest itself in any other way, for example, the Console closing itself etc.

Colin

Saturday, April 19, 2008 6:16 PM
  • Hey Colin, thanks for responding. 

The most signifcant thing I have done in the past 48 hrs is upgrade from the 120d evaluation to the OEM version.  My story is listed on this thread - only one anomoly that I think was a bit unusual (User Account icon was not present after reinstall). 
    http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3204407&SiteID=50

The one other thing I did yesterday was attach (e.g. install Connector) my work laptop (e.g. has a domain service network) to WHS...that story is here.  http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3166084&SiteID=50
    The only comment I'd make is I had several unexplained server disconnects during the initial manual backup session, resulting in two failed backups....the disconnects were not happening on my other clients.  However WHS did eventually get through a full 80gB backup during the middle of the night. 

So...bottom line, is I can't say with confidence these event log error entries were associated with any particular end-user observations such as aborted Console sessions.  But speaking of which, there were a few of those, but all understandable, as I occasionally had an active Console session running on one machine that was aborted after launching another istance from a different PC (e.g. Remote Access or Remote Desktop or direct Console when one of these were running/active on another machine). 

As you might imagine, after a complete reinstall (e.g. OEM) I've been doing a lot of testing to reassure myself the OEM install is running equal or better than the evaluation copy, especially after experienced the User Account issue. 

I do have a few add-ins..which was my first thought when I saw this error  (always blame 'the other guy' right? ;-). Whiilst, WHS Disk Management, WHS Program Launcher, Event Viewer for WHS, Tab Reorderer.  These are all the lastest versions posted on wegotserved.co.uk

Regards.
    Saturday, April 19, 2008 6:38 PM
  • I wonder if there was a 'glitch' when 'upgrading' from the 120 to OEM version.

Personally, as a matter of regular practice, I never ever upgrade like that. In something as important as a server particularly, I always scrub the previous version and start from scratch, as it's impossible to know what is or isn't changed. I did notice your thread re the User Account issue, and I think you have done the right thing.

There have been a 'few' comments regarding add-ins causing problems, but they are very few and far between; they appear to be very well behaved up 'till now.

Good luck with the re-install.

Colin

Saturday, April 19, 2008 7:58 PM
  • Colin...

I have been having trouble with my WHS connector staying connected to the server. I can launch it and log in and it comes up but then after a minute or so it just goes blank and logs me off with a message saying it lost connection to the server.

After some investigation I have noticed the above error in my application Event viewer appears with each attempt to start the connector.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5000
    Date:  10/09/2010
    Time:  9:36:47 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: BURLINGTON
    Description:
    EventType clr20r3, P1 homeserverconsole.exe, P2 6.0.0.0, P3 4acceb5f, P4 whscommon, P5 6.0.0.0, P6 4accead8, P7 334, P8 1b, P9 pszqoadhx1u5zahbhohghldgiy4qixhx, P10 NIL.

I killed the DW20.exe process to see if that would help and it did not, although that process was eating a lot of CPU.

I read the article above but if it's the console I can't change the code. Is there a solution for this?

Dave Lloyd
    Friday, September 10, 2010 1:59 PM
  • Hello,

Collin, I have the very same problem and I can't access Console because it closing itself and won't let me access the shared folders. I have WHS OEM. This error is driving me crazy. How can we fix this thing without re-install?

Thanks.

Boricua

El Boricua
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 12:25 AM
  • I checked the logs and found a message saying something about the console app not being able to find the add-ins folder. I only had one add in installed so I unintalled it and now all is fine.

Dave

Dave Lloyd
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 2:47 PM