none
Invalid date RRS feed

• Question

• "I am running Project 2010 and ..." When I open a certain 2003 project plan, as I scroll through it I get multiple messages saying "Invalid date, this is not a valid date, or it is outside the range for dates."

I dont see anything wrong with any of my dates??  All dates are 12/14/09 through 7/14/10.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Terry
    • Edited by mattw112 Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:28 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:28 PM

Answers

• I had the very same problem and solved it without exporting anything.

You need to inspect any and all date fields in Project. Sooner or later, you will find a goofy date (or dates) causing the problem. Simply delete the offending entries and the problem goes away.

I found a problem in column titled "Baseline Estimated Start" and I'm not sure how a bad date got in there. It could have something to do with the fact that I imported rows from a Microsoft 2003 file that someone else created. I did not inspect that file for problems before importing, so shame on me.

However, the problem is now gone.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Terry,

This forum is for Project 2010 only. Try posting on the microsoft.public.project newsgroup (forum).  Please see FAQ Item: 24. Project Newsgroups.   FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Mike Glen
    Project MVP

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 9:27 PM
  • Thanks for your concern of me posting to the right forum... but indeed it is.  I thought it would go without saying.

But I will revise....

I am running Project 2010 and... <Insert first post here>

Thanks,
    Terry

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:27 PM
  • Hello Terry,

Are you able to open the project using Project 2003?  Is this data which was exported out of Project 2003 as an excel file and imported to Project 2010?  There have been several reports of incorrect date data from Excel export then import round trips.

Julie
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:24 AM
  • Yes I am able to open in 2003.

No data has been imported or exported.

Basically this was a project plan created in 2010 by me, saved as 2003 by me for someone else, edited by 2003 by someone else, and now trying to open again in 2010 by me.  (this is what happens when you have multiple versions of project in one company...)

These errors drive me crazy every time I open the project and try to scroll through it.

I've tried resaving the plan as 2010 format and opening but still get the errors.

Thanks,
    Terry
    Friday, February 26, 2010 5:06 AM
  • Hi Terry,

Is it only this one particular file?  I have files created in Project 2003 that open fine and I am able to scroll through the file using the mouse wheel.

Can you test with another Project file? 

I thought there may be some problem related to the mouse scroll wheel and having a date field (start, finish etc) active when scrolling, but I cannot reproduce.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 2:48 PM
  • Hello Mattw112

Ha!  I had a similar issue that you are describing.  What I did to resolve it was, I exported my project schedule into an excel spreadsheet format.  The reason for this is that there are so many fields and many are hidden.  So I after I exported into excel, I went to each column with date fields and sorted both ascending and descending to look for an unusual date.

It turns out my problem was I had a date that was before Jan-1-1984. This is a cut off date or limit that Microsoft project has for start date and will not calculate on or  before that date.   

I hope that helps you resolve this issue.

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:43 AM
  • I was able to do a save as..save as excel xlsx.  Tried to follow the wizard but wasn't sure what to select.  Anyway when opened that excel just had the two date fields like I normally do and all those look fine.

Even within the project plan, the start and finish dates look fine?

Can you describe in more detail how you did what you said?

Thanks,
    Terry

PS - I know someone else asked earlier... no I do not get these date popup messages when the plan is opened with Project 2007, just 2010.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:49 AM
  • Hi Terry,

MS project has restrictions on dates where they cannot be earlier than Jan 1,1984 and later than December 31, 2049, so if you attempt to enter a date outside of that range, it will not be recognized.  What is baffling with what you report, is the same restriction applies to Project 2007, so you could not have added the date in Project 2007 either.

I think what Michael was suggesting was to export the project file and make sure you get all the date fields in use (Start, Finish, Baseline Start, Baseline Finish, Actual Start, Actual Finish, etc.).  The problem is that when exporting from Project 2010 to Excel, there are some problems with dates being changed.

So, what I would suggest first, is trying to repair a copy of the file in Project 2007 by saving as XML and re-opening the XML file to recreate in 2007.  Then try opening the file in 2010.

Is this happening with all files or just one?

Julie

Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:14 AM
  • So what is weird is I created this from scratch and I know I didn't enter any bad dates... also I know I didn't enter any dates beyond start and finish.  And in the project plan all one has to do is look at the top and see the start and finish for the entire plan.

So my question is, how do I "Export" I don't see that option.  Looking through the tabs I see save as, that is it.  And going that method I didn't see how to pick the column to save?  I tried looking at help for "Export" and didn't get much.

I only have this one Project plan so far that I'm using right now since I installed 2010.

I'll try the repair option but might take me several days.

Thanks,
    Terry
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:53 PM
  • Hi Terry,

To "export" you are spot on -- it's Save As, select Excel as the file type. The export wizard will launch and you can select the fields to export.

However, due to a problem with saving to an excel file and date with Project 2010 beta I would not do this from the Project 2010 product.

The product is still beta, so I hope you have access to the another option.  Project 2010 is not schedule for a non-beta release until May.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 12:44 AM
  • Hi All,

Thanks Julie for clearing up my answer.

I am just quessing that you may have an invalid date.  It could easier be fat fingered or it cold just be a bug. 

When exporting to a excel spreadsheet, I like to you use the "Task Export Table Map"  and I select all the fields.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sunday, March 14, 2010 12:15 AM
  • I had the very same problem and solved it without exporting anything.

You need to inspect any and all date fields in Project. Sooner or later, you will find a goofy date (or dates) causing the problem. Simply delete the offending entries and the problem goes away.

I found a problem in column titled "Baseline Estimated Start" and I'm not sure how a bad date got in there. It could have something to do with the fact that I imported rows from a Microsoft 2003 file that someone else created. I did not inspect that file for problems before importing, so shame on me.

However, the problem is now gone.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:56 PM
  • I did find a bunch of baseline start and baseline finish dates which were in 1984.  Basically the first day that is possible according to the dialog.  But some tasks were set to NA?  I tried changing all the baseline starts and baseline finishes to a date above 84 but I still get errors.  So there must be another date field to find... the things that sucks is there's like 7000 items you can export but you are limited to exporting only 250 or so,... so I'll need to pick and choose.

Not sure what is going on though, I mean it works in project 2003?  Why not 2010?  Are they that different on dates that are ok?  If anything I would assume 2010 would deal with dates better, not the other way around.

Terry
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:08 PM
  • Hello mattw122

Here is another angle I tried before exporting the data.  I first start a process of deleting half the tasks in my schedule and if the problem went away. Then I knew the problem data was in that section.

So I went thru an interactive process of deleteing and undeleting, until I got down to one row, that was causing the problem.

Once I  found that one row,  I deleted from my schedule and re-entered they data.

When you find it, please post.  I am really curious as to what caused it.

Sincerely,

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSE+I, MCSD, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:04 AM